Foot infections

That has also been my experience with my own ducks. It has been very hard, emotionally and financially. Like Cori, I also read about ducks being hardy before I got them. My ducks aren't aware of this trait they are supposed to have.

I don't know what your ducks' environment is like, but you might consider making sure they are always standing on soft things. My veterinarian told me that even wood shavings are too hard for some ducks. I thought she was wrong, but when I switched to straw all my bumblefoot issues disappeared and never came back. I also cleared out all rocks, pea gravel, boards, cinder blocks, ect. The only thing my ducks had access to was grass or 4-6 inches of straw or hay.

Of course, my ducks still get reproductive issues. But we no longer had foot issues. 😉
It's funny, I switched FROM straw because I thought it was poking their feet and causing the bumblefoot. The only rocks they have now are the smooth river stones the landscapers put around the edge of the pond but I am trying to figure out how to change that up. I may just buy some astroturf to put over it when they are out swimming for now. I'm glad to hear I'm not alone.

It's funny, I switched FROM straw because I thought it was poking their feet and causing the bumblefoot. The only rocks they have now are the smooth river stones the landscapers put around the edge of the pond but I am trying to figure out how to change that up. I may just buy some astroturf to put over it when they are out swimming for now. I'm glad to hear I'm not alone.
I used to have smooth river rocks, too. Apparently it's not just cuts that cause bumblefoot, but also standing on hard stuff. At least, that's what my vet told me - and it really worked for my ducks.

I used foam work out puzzle mats for a few months to cover up a concrete area. My duck with very sensitive feet seemed to do well with it. I've seen another member use puzzle mats around their swimming area.

@PicklesMom i didn't forget but since it was dark, I decided to wrap again in the morning and try to get good pictures. Honey Boo Boo gets really frustrated whenever I take her away from her flock and she has figured out the perfect way to let me know how unhappy she is. She gets the skin on the underside of my arm and knows exactly how much to grab to get her point across ☺️ I found that getting my supplies together and doing everything outside right there with her flock, she's a perfect little patient. She gets super anxious whenever she's away from her flock and I understand and respect that. I promise I'll get pictures of everything in the morning. I apologize for not doing it tonight

@PicklesMom i didn't forget but since it was dark, I decided to wrap again in the morning and try to get good pictures. Honey Boo Boo gets really frustrated whenever I take her away from her flock and she has figured out the perfect way to let me know how unhappy she is. She gets the skin on the underside of my arm and knows exactly how much to grab to get her point across ☺️ I found that getting my supplies together and doing everything outside right there with her flock, she's a perfect little patient. She gets super anxious whenever she's away from her flock and I understand and respect that. I promise I'll get pictures of everything in the morning. I apologize for not doing it tonight
HA! My girl Mabel has figured out that‘s a soft spot too. I have a row of little bruises from her ‘love pinches’ 😬

Do they come in different sizes? I think it would be worth trying. But if it's used to draw out infection seems we'd need a larger size than the ones for pimples.
They do make ones that are like 2x2 squares, I think I’m going to grab some and give them a try. It’d be nice to find a solution that doesn’t involve too much digging around in their feet.

For those who have dealt with septic arthritis, how long did it take your duck to improve? We are on day 6 of antibiotics (TMP-SMZ) and meloxicam. The ankle is still quite swollen, but maybe not as much and not as hot. She swims with it more -- first day just held it up and floated, now paddles with it -- and will use it to touch down and hop on the other foot but rarely bears weight. The vet gave us 14 days of meds and did tell us not to stop before the followup, but I guess I just want her better!

I wouldn't stop the antibiotics at all (unless the doctor advised you to of course) . That can cause a resistance to the antibiotic. Since it's such a bad infection, it probably will take a while for her to recover. I'm impressed that she's not over doing it while on the meloxicam. It certainly wouldn't hurt to call the vet just to check in but since she is showing some improvements, I'd say you're on the right track.

Did the doctor culture anything from the inflamed areas? Just wondering if that's why they chose this antibiotic (certainly not questioning the doctor in any way)
Definitely not stopping the antibiotic! I just meant that she seemed to imply we might need even a longer course - she actually gave us enough for 20 days in case we couldn't get in sooner. They did culture but we are still waiting on the results - I may call since I'd think they should be in by now.

Back
Top Bottom