Foot is puffed up don't know what to do?!

amillecay

Songster
8 Years
Dec 29, 2011
My chickens foot (Red is her name) is puffed up I don't know what to do I have heard bad stories about these things but have never had it happen to me before so I really have no idea what it is, she does have a little black thing on the bottom and I guess that's were something poked her? Also it doesn't seem to hurt her at all when touched and she walks on it fine.

Man I really really don't want to do this as I am pretty squirmy about these kind of things :(

there is a wonderful video tutorial floating around here on how to treat it. remember that once you cut the black scab/plug out you have to push from the top to pop out the kernels of infection. good luck. soaking in epsom salt water solution after will help to draw out the infection.

The worst part about it is that i was planning on going on vacation tomorrow and now I have NO clue what to do..

I've just done it and nope no chicken friend hear by but I got it done with and she is walking around now with the others :) I did have a friend help me out but she is not a 'chicken friend'.. haha to bad I don't live closer to you i've always wanted to go to the UK :)

How long will you be gone? It can probably wait a short while, but not too long.

And as for cutting and pushing everything out... that swelling between the toes...it probably should be cut from the top. My girl had a big X across the bottom of her foot, and slits on the top between the toes. Kernels everywhere.... But got it all!

Okay so she is doing much much better here is a photo, it didn't seem better today but now that i look at this photo (which is from yesterday) it does look a bit better I have to go back out there a bit later today as I put the bandages on but for got to put the ointment on!! (it was really hot out I was in a bit of a rush) so i am going to take a photo of the scab and the top of her foot again as I wanted to know when it's best to take the bandages off.

Back
Top Bottom