Foot problem - does my chicken have bumblefoot?

ChickenBoyAfrica

In the Brooder
Dec 2, 2020
Hi, one of my chicks has a swollen toe. She is walking fine. But should I be worried and it could it be bumblefoot?
Thank you
2D20FF11-4D41-4BDE-90A4-510F8753DE5B.jpeg
BB29426D-FBA7-4B1A-9E81-5A791A38C165.jpeg

Chookchicken

🎄Fluffiest In The Flock🎄
Premium Feather Member
Dec 4, 2020
Before cutting off the infection bath her foot with Epsom salts, it helps soften the skin.

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Here is a good article about bumblefoot showing some of the different pictures of how it looks:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning/
Warm Epsom salts soaks are a good first treatment. Some also use a dressing on the foot with Betadine and sugar mixture as a poultice. PRID is another drawing salve that can be used. If there is a hard kernel inside, it can later be cleaned out by removing the scab and squeezing. Cutting into it is the most invasive treatment that is sometimes needed. I would rather see a cleaned up foot pad first.

ChickenBoyAfrica

In the Brooder
Dec 2, 2020
Thank you for the info, she is also only 7 weeks old !she is the first chicken I have ever had that has bumblefoot! ( We only got them in April.

Chookchicken

🎄Fluffiest In The Flock🎄
Premium Feather Member
Dec 4, 2020
Thank you for the info, she is also only 7 weeks old !she is the first chicken I have ever had that has bumblefoot! ( We only got them in April.
In the last month I have had two chickens with bumble foot with the first one I just soaked her foot with Epsom salts everyday for about a week and a half, the second one I found out she has bumble foot today so I am just gonna do the same considering I found it very early. It is sad watching them limp and be very skidish. But in the end they will get better, I wish you and you’re chicken luck :)

Top Bottom