Foot problem?

I would say frostbite is a possibility.
I also live in MN, and have had ducks with very similar-looking injuries during winter time. My vet has always recommended Epsom foot soaks twice a day for about a week. The key is to keep it from getting infected, and they usually completely heal.
With the colder weather and higher relative humidities, even if you're doing everything correct there's still a risk of frostbite. I try to help the bedding to dry out by stirring it up multiple times a day. Any little bit of dampness can cause problems in such weather.

I would say frostbite is a possibility.
I also live in MN, and have had ducks with very similar-looking injuries during winter time. My vet has always recommended Epsom foot soaks twice a day for about a week. The key is to keep it from getting infected, and they usually completely heal.
With the colder weather and higher relative humidities, even if you're doing everything correct there's still a risk of frostbite. I try to help the bedding to dry out by stirring it up multiple times a day. Any little bit of dampness can cause problems in such weather.

My theory is, that these spots on his feet stick out a little more than they are supposed to, making them more susceptible. I think once the skin in that area sloughs off it will be flatter and the problem will be solved. I called the vet today and she said if he is still eating, drinking, and there is no drainage I can just keep doing what I'm doing.

My theory is, that these spots on his feet stick out a little more than they are supposed to, making them more susceptible. I think once the skin in that area sloughs off it will be flatter and the problem will be solved. I called the vet today and she said if he is still eating, drinking, and there is no drainage I can just keep doing what I'm doing.

That's been my thought as well. The outsides of the foot and longer middle toes don't get tucked up into the down feathers as well.

I've been going out there and putting antibiotic on his feet every day and it's not getting better. I am thinking of bringing him in every night for a soak and then antibiotic ointment. You don't think one hour inside every night for treatment will effect his acclimation to the cold do you?

I've been going out there and putting antibiotic on his feet every day and it's not getting better. I am thinking of bringing him in every night for a soak and then antibiotic ointment. You don't think one hour inside every night for treatment will effect his acclimation to the cold do you?

Soaking inside for that amount of time should not affect his tolerance of cold. I've done this before, and I notice more wing-lifting inside to release heat rather than shivering when put back outside.

A happy-medium that I've done in other situations is bringing them into the garage for foot soaks. It's warmer than outside, but not as hot as inside the bathroom.

Back
Top Bottom