Foot problem?

It does look like there could be something in there or it's swollen, because that spot is larger than the same area on her other foot.

I have two vets I go to for my ducks, one for simpler things because he's closer and one for more complicated things (like a broken leg). After many discussions with both of them, I have come to the understand that there are extreme differences between ducks in the wild and the ones from store and hatcheries.

I believe with years of domestication and over breeding (between good and bad genes) or for being meat birds, that domesticated ducks are just weaker and at a disadvantage. It's kinda heartbreaking when you think about it. But I have accepted bumble foot as something that is a norm with ducks. They will get it somehow, when you least expect it or no matter how hard you try to give them a good environment. Like us with colds. Just got to give them the best environment we can and prepare/have our arsenal of knowledge, supplies and hopefully a vet for more severe cases.

That being said, I love these quackers and wouldn't trade them for the world. :)
Excellent points, all of them.
My first flock had problems with their feet that appeared to be fungal (much like the OP) and responded well to treatment with red iodine.
It seemed to improve the most with ample time spent outside foraging.
Diet? Beneficial bacteria from the soil? Less time on those course wood chips from Tractor Supply that I no longer use?
Second flock has zero foot problems save the occasional limp that they all seem to get.

Excellent points, all of them.
My first flock had problems with their feet that appeared to be fungal (much like the OP) and responded well to treatment with red iodine.
It seemed to improve the most with ample time spent outside foraging.
Diet? Beneficial bacteria from the soil? Less time on those course wood chips from Tractor Supply that I no longer use?
Second flock has zero foot problems save the occasional limp that they all seem to get.

There isn't much foraging happening here in the dead of winter. I did ask about possible frost bite but I think my question got lost in the wrap or no wrap debate.

They have deep straw inside the house and out in the pen.

IMG_20210109_130602.jpg

One week ago vs yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom