Foot swollen and splitting

Poor girl!
Did you ever notice any bone sticking out or if the leg looked a bit crooked like it was broken or fractured?

Hate to ask, but can you get some photos at different angles, the other side of the leg?
How often have you changed wrappings?

I'd like to see @Eggcessive or @coach723 chime in.
Did not see any indication of a break or anything out of alignment. Never found any puncture site either.

We’ve changed wrappings usually once a day to every other day.

Aside from it being swollen, there’s nothing of note on the other side of the leg. This isn’t the best picture but I was able to get a little of it with her just standing how she holds it up.
DA3E5692-FC29-4E1E-8C2B-D10A6EA61B57.jpeg

Have you been soaking in Epsom salts the entire month? Or just a couple times?

Do you have any idea how she may have injured herself? If it isn't likely an injury, it may be cancer.
We did a week of twice a day Epsom salts and then once a day for another half a week about.

Aside from flying over the coop fence - about 5 feet tall - there’s nothing else I know of that could have caused it. I had seen her like an hour before and she was fine, and next time I went out she was holding it up and not wanting to walk on it.

Oh boy.

I would guess that she suffered a compound fracture, or maybe just a fracture that has injured the surrounding tissue. I think a vet would be the best for survival. However, you could try some strong antibiotics for bone infections, such as Cephalexin or Clindamycin. Those can be found online for fish, and we may be able to get dosage. Others may have better recommendations.

I have a rooster with a similar issue. At first I thought it was cancer since I have an avian virus in my flock that causes tumors. Then I noticed a similar issue with the other leg in the same spot and concluded he was injuring his legs trying to heave his big body up onto the roost at night. (I lowered his perch)

I treated it with two different antibiotics in succession, and the swollen scales have subsided and it appears he's in less pain, but still experiencing some.

I suggest you try one of the antibiotics @Eggcessive recommended and continue the soaks and wound care.

Does it smell?
When I treated a possible osteomylitis I used a combination of clindamycin and SMZ-TMP.
I used 25 mg/kg of clindamycin every 8 hours and 7 mg/kg of the SMZ-TMP daily( this is from my notes and I didn't write down my source, but I did a lot of research). I divided up the doses, mixed in some softened coconut oil and then froze it, so it was ready when needed. Without xrays it's hard to know if there is bone infection or not. My bird recovered, but I did not have xrays to confirm my suspicions. He had a very swollen foot and had chronic bumblefoot for a long period. I lanced and was cleaning what I expected to be pus, and I hit bone, the bone was swollen for lack of a better word, so that's why I suspected osteomylitis. I watched his droppings, if they looked bad (like things were getting upset) I reduced the dose slightly. Over all he tolerated it well. I treated him for several weeks. He fully recovered and is still with me he's now 7.5 years old.
The black spreading is concerning to me, which is why I ask if there is a smell. I lost one to what I believed was dry gangrene that started with a very minor injury. Smelled like rotten meat, really bad. The black slowly spread, he became septic and died. I treated that one with enrofloxacin, but to no avail. The picture from the side (maybe it's just the angle??) looks like the area is sunken which makes me think necrotic and infection.

Does it smell?
When I treated a possible osteomylitis I used a combination of clindamycin and SMZ-TMP.
I used 25 mg/kg of clindamycin every 8 hours and 7 mg/kg of the SMZ-TMP daily( this is from my notes and I didn't write down my source, but I did a lot of research). I divided up the doses, mixed in some softened coconut oil and then froze it, so it was ready when needed. Without xrays it's hard to know if there is bone infection or not. My bird recovered, but I did not have xrays to confirm my suspicions. He had a very swollen foot and had chronic bumblefoot for a long period. I lanced and was cleaning what I expected to be pus, and I hit bone, the bone was swollen for lack of a better word, so that's why I suspected osteomylitis. I watched his droppings, if they looked bad (like things were getting upset) I reduced the dose slightly. Over all he tolerated it well. I treated him for several weeks. He fully recovered and is still with me he's now 7.5 years old.
The black spreading is concerning to me, which is why I ask if there is a smell. I lost one to what I believed was dry gangrene that started with a very minor injury. Smelled like rotten meat, really bad. The black slowly spread, he became septic and died. I treated that one with enrofloxacin, but to no avail. The picture from the side (maybe it's just the angle??) looks like the area is sunken which makes me think necrotic and infection.
I just recently noticed a slight smell when I took off the wrapping, and yes also recently it’s started to look sunken. Dang, that doesn’t sound promising. Where did you get clindamycin from? Just checked Tractor Supply with no luck. 🙁

Back
Top Bottom