Foot ? tumor--image included

wolfladyrn2

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 4, 2012

I have this chicken. She is approx. 2 yrs old. One month ago I notice a hard tumor looking growth on her foot near her 3rd toe. However when I went out to the coop this AM this is what I found. She still has the hard tumor looking growth but now she has a soft fluid filled area beside it. She is not putting much weight on the foot and when she does she has a terrible limp. She was even eating in a sitting position.
Does anyone know what this is and if there is a treatment???
Thanks for all the help.
Elizabeth H

Looks like an infection that went bad. I'm not sure but you could try injecting the site with penicillin, which can be found at Randall Burkley Supply, as penicillin is the cure for almost any kind of bacterial infection. Not much else you can do, possibly find a vet in your area that specializes in avian care? Good luck, I wish only the best for you and your bird! Keep updated!

I have this chicken. She is approx. 2 yrs old. One month ago I notice a hard tumor looking growth on her foot near her 3rd toe. However when I went out to the coop this AM this is what I found. She still has the hard tumor looking growth but now she has a soft fluid filled area beside it. She is not putting much weight on the foot and when she does she has a terrible limp. She was even eating in a sitting position.
Does anyone know what this is and if there is a treatment???
Thanks for all the help.
Elizabeth H

Most often, it's bumblefoot in the footpads or gout in the joints, but ... wow ... that's almost certainly a bacterial infection. And, if so? You're gonna wanna know which one, before selecting an antibiotic w/ which to attempt treatment.

This bird should have been isolated from your flock upon the first signs of swelling, but you can possibly reduce exposures by cleaning/disinfecting all areas/equipment.

Random images of infectious synovitis ...

I don't think it's paratyphoid or pullorum, and arthritis isn't at all likely. Zinc deficiency may also be a possible cause. Infection by staphylococcosis is a good possibility.

But, here's a random image of clinically confirmed tenosynovitis ...

Keep in mind that, when the swelling first began, it could have been caused by one thing but, as the condition continued, a secondary infection occurred.

I am a bit obsessive complusive about my chickens feet. if i see minor cuts and blood anywhere i wash and then spray with a blue terramyacin spray. i just feel that they are stepping in their own poop and in the mud and dirt its so easy for feet to get infected. good luck!

Back
Top Bottom