for a pet is it better to get one or two duckling?

showjumper_girl2002

Songster
8 Years
Jun 20, 2011
Florida
hi, i want to get 1 or 2 pet ducklings. i want them to be pets and sociable and i know if i just get one it will love me and want to be with me from what i've read. however i don't want it to be lonely when i'm not home, if i get two will they still make good pets and bond with me? so should i get just one duckling or two to be my companions?

Get 2 they will both love you
love.gif
and like you noted they won't get lonely when ya are gone.

I have raised ducks for 10 years and they prefer the company of another duck, preferably 2 females if you don't want babies. Two males will fight terribly. I currently have three hens and one male. The more you handle them when they are little the friendlier they will be. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Agreeded. I posted in one of your other topics saying i had 2 indoor ducks. They are completly bonded with me but have each other when i am not there. Its all in how much time you have to give them. Especially when they are ducklings

Quote:
if i get 2 ducklings that are one day old will they both imprint on me or prefer eachother? i really want it as a companion so i'm torn between one or two because i've heard just getting one will make it my best friend where as two or more prefer eachother.

also, after a lot of research i've decided to get a pekin duckling. i know males are quiet and i live in a neighborhood so would prefer that. however, will a male become aggressive when it matures?

A solitary Pekin male or female is not going to be happy. They really do enjoy having another duck around. The key for us is to just handle them daily and always have treats ready to share and they will stay friendly and love you. Once you find thier favorite treat; they will expect it every single time you come outside. My ducks love banana's. I sit down in the yard with a banana and they come running. I hold it for them while they eat the banana, but they always want to play with the peel when we are done. Just my opinion. Two females are really the way to go, but if you can get them sexed a male and female will have a love affair that is very entertaining to watch.

Quote:
X2

Not a good idea at all to just get one. Unless you plan to be home with them every minute of the day-or the like. Ducks are very social-with whomever they spent their time with. You can have both and I'm sure they'll both love you very much if you socialize them. But getting just one can be a huge mistake.

I would get two. Otherwise, you will have a little duckling screaming (peeping loudly) for you all day and night. Most people don't find that very fun.

Back
Top Bottom