For all you horse people!

Texasclucker

🇺🇸🇺🇸👏COW POOP👏🇺🇸🇺🇸
Mar 31, 2021
The Lonestar State
Just thought i would share for all of my fellow byc horse lovers bowieauctionhorses.com you can save some really skinny horses from going to the slaughter and some really good horses they even have apha horses I personally have never bought any from than but just thought I would mention them!

Just thought i would share for all of my fellow byc horse lovers bowieauctionhorses.com you can save some really skinny horses from going to the slaughter and some really good horses they even have apha horses I personally have never bought any from than but just thought I would mention them!
That’s cool! I don’t have a horse, but they’re awesome creatures, and it sucks to see them go to the slaughter house.

It's really sweet that you care. But you should know, all those places that "save" so called slaughter horses are a scam. They are re-sellers. If they can't get someone to "adopt/rescue" this horse for an exorbitant fee, THEY are the ones who will ship it to Mexico (or, more rarely, Canada) for slaughter, if there's any chance of them going to slaughter at all. Because if you're buying loads of horses for slaughter, why not pick out the ones that might make you a faster, easier sale??
But mostly, they just go back to the local sale barn if they can't turn a quick buck. Most of those operations are just a way to get money for horses that people can't ride by tugging heartstrings

And skinny horses don't go to slaughter. Think about it - there's no meat on the scrawny thing, so there's no money in it. Those animals cost time and money to process, there has to be enough to make it worth it.

Please be aware there are no horse slaughterhouses in the US. They have to go over the border to Mexico. Canada does also have a horse meat trade, but most of them are bred and raised specifically for it. There are very, very few places in Canada that want to bother with skinny old things when they have fat "steer" horses bred and raised for a perfect product.

It's pretty rare for legitimate horse rescues to troll the kill pens - they already are full-up with owner surrenders and referrals from Animal Control. The "organizations" that advertise, "OMG! Somebody needs to save this wonderful horse from slaughter!" is most likely the kill buyer themself, or affiliated with them, trying to get a few hundred dollars more than they paid and save the cost of transporting them to Mexico.

We have some notorious scammers here in WA. Some of them have a record of taking money from several people for the same horse, taking money and shipping them to Mexico anyway, claiming the horse "got injured and had to be euthanized", etc., every scam you can think of.

All that said, my mare was bought out of our local auction's kill pen, but this was in 2010, when the 2008 financial crisis was still foreclosing on people, the price of hay had gone through the roof, and there were way too many good horses people couldn't afford to keep and couldn't sell. Also, my mare was bought by a friend who is a professional trainer, and the only reason I have my mare is because she has some issues that made her unsuitable for my trainer friend's lesson program.

Fortunately, my local auction was recently sold to better people (after the last owner died and went to hell, I'm sure.) They seem to be more legitimate than they used to be - they encourage sellers to put a reserve price on the horse so they don't go for meat price, and they market the horses (and other animals) on their website ahead of time, including pictures, videos, and whatever description the seller wants to post.

To anyone who wants to rescue a horse - do it through a legitimate rescue, that has a 501(c)(3) designation (ie. a real charity, not a scam) and posts their financial records on their website. These rescues have brought the horses back to good health, have provided vet care, good training including re-training from abusive situations, and they know what kind of home their horses would be a good match with.

Adopting a horse from one of these organizations, means that now the rescue has an opening to take in another horse from a neglect or cruelty situation. Plus, you get a good horse who's just right for you, and you know their history, instead of taking a chance on an unknown horse from a lying scammer.

I LOVE BOWIE! I have two horses from a kill pen that wasn't Bowie and I'll never buy anothr horse that's not a rescue from Bowie. Most people think an 18 year old hose is too old but for an hour ride a few times a week, most older horses still love to go out, especially if it's a lighter child on them. I'm so glad the owner gives the horses the last chance to find a family. I just lost a 30 year old hose last week. I don't understand how humans can be so cruel as to dump an older horse that has served them many years at an auction, knowing they will be gutted while still awake in Mexico. I hope more people will get horses from Kill houses. I've had good luck, but have also sent mine for training when I got them.

Most of these animal rescue places have ties with PETA and I'm far from supporting those a-hats. I'd rather see an animal humanely put down rather than giving them a wooden nickel to support their practices. I have a buddy that saves donkeys and horses. She does it on her own and rents some of my land. She pays for feed but I take care of them.

If you don't know Bowie, why be so negative?? Is it a public service to help horses die painfully? There are scammers in the kill pen houses, but Bowie is NOT ONE OF THEM! The horses are legitimately at the last possible kill pen before Mexico, where they are slit open while still awake. The horses are NOT marked up above their meat price, unless they have papers or have advanced training. The owner doesn't play on people's heart strings. He pulls a variety e very week. People have no idea which ones are saved and which go to slaughter. If a skinny horse can STAND and is not BLIND, it goes to slaughter, that's the reality. The USDA doesn't care. Yearly, between 30,000-60,000 horses die in Canada and Mexico and they ARE from the United States. Most are completely healthy. More than half have been devoted pets and served many years. ALL DESERVE A CHANCE AT A FAMILY! I've watched Bowie for a very long time. I'm active in dog rescue and a highly educated person, with a healthy dose of common sense. These horses are priced at meat market levels. He gets no huge profit off the ones he picks. If he wanted to, he could save the really good ones for the regular horse auctions at Bowie and earn much more, but he gives the horses and families wanting a good horse at a reasonable price a chance to meet. I call that a good deed, that doesn't deserve bad mouthing. If you have any love in your heart, please don't bad mouth the only chance left for these horses. If you don't agree, just pass the post by.

Back
Top Bottom