For crying out loud

EggCentric

Songster
12 Years
Sep 14, 2007
Ball Ground, Ga
I now have a hen that is beyond broody. She's been at it for 5 days now. I've kept her in a cage and actually bring her in the house at night, anything to keep her off the nestbox! But she's still broody. Somebody please send me an egg! LOL

But seriously, she is losing weight and I'm at my wits end. Any ideas?

Give her some eggs!

Many people say put her in a cage with a wire floor. Keep it dark. I guess the wire floor is to allow her to cool off underneath?!!

I have a broody with 18 chicks right now and I gotta tell you it is a really neat experience!

None of our eggs are fertilized. I would order eggs, but I'm not allowed to have a rooster here. I have her in a cage now, under my kitchen counter. She's been in a cage for 5 days, in house and out in the run. I have to let her out occasionally because she won't eat in the cage, she just gets frantic looking for a way out.

We do have a silkie rooster that was an "Oops" kinda thing, but he's a bantam and not much use getting JG's fertilized,,,lol

I take my broody hen down a few times a day so she can eat.....better yet, separate her so she can eat alone and the other chickens won't bother her. Also put her on the roost at night. I tried separating her in her own cage in the garage but that just made her lonely and then had to intergrate her back in the flock. It's frustrating, but that's just who they are!

To break her broodyness, I've heard of people not only putting them in open wire cages, but also giving them ice cubes to try to hatch... personally... I gave up and gave mine an egg...

Back
Top Bottom