For Folk who Wonder How Hay is made.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by theoldchick, May 26, 2011.

1. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Takes quite a bit of organization. Got to get the equipment at the right place at the right time. Grass has got to be ready, too!

The Cutter is brought for inspection and blade sharpening.

[​IMG]

Tractors arrive for work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Cutter is attached to our biggest work horse.

[​IMG]

And off we go!

[​IMG]

Once all is cut the hay is allowed to set and is 'fluffed' as many times needed to make sure the grass is properly cured.

[​IMG]

The rake is attached to yet another tractor and the grass is raked into rows in preparation of baling.

[​IMG]

And the baling begins!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is the finished product!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Meanwhile the red tractor is hooked up to the Cutter and is starting to cut grass in the next pasture. And the process starts all over again!

2. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I love the smell of hay time.

I don't love the scratchy arms and heat of being in a hay mow stacking square bales. Don't miss that at all.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Nice pics.

I've been watching it out my window all day. They are tethering. Soon they will be able to move all the cows back to the big pasture and keep em there! [​IMG]

4. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Yep, we're getting ready for haying too! Supposed to get good and hot this weekend, so we'll likely be cutting our first field.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Wow. I wondered in the past, but hadn't recently. Now I know. Thanks!

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

We should be haying, but with the drought the alfalfa hasn't grown. We're just now planting the cane that we'll hopefully get some rain on and will bale later in the summer.

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Good thing we got this pasture completed! Thunderstorms blasted through an hour after we finished. Will have to watch the weather to see when to start cutting again! Supposed to rain today so we'll wait and see. Timing is crucial as the grass is maturing to the point where the hay will have to be sold as 'cattle quality' if cut too late.

On the other hand, as soon as the fescue is cut, we can start on our bermuda pastures which should be ready for the first cutting in July-if we get enough rain. We have horse owner's chewing their fingernails over our bermuda hay. And my horses are waiting too!

[​IMG]

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Some hay are pale green while others are dark green.....is it because it was "sun bleached" or type of hay. I love the smell of alfalfa hay!

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:It's both. Alfalfa is a darker green than prairie hay while brome is pretty dark green when it's first cut, but as its dried it lightens up. The cane we'll cut and bale later this summer is dark green when we swath it, but dries to a light greenish tan.

10. Dunkopf

Dunkopf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Kiowa, Colorado
    We have a lot of hay cutting here. I've never seen that thing with the round disc in use though. Now I finally know what it is.

First cutting of alfalfa is still a couple weeks away here. No rain till last week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by