For How Long Can a Lonely Hen Be Lonely?

Other behaviors such as hen soliciting mating behavior indicates we have species ID issues.
That's fairly common though among hens that are neither on their own nor wanting for stuff to do: You hover your hand over her, and she squats and spreads her wings slightly. Handy if you want to catch her, but somewhat disturbing considering what it might say about her mental state.

That's fairly common though among hens that are neither on their own nor wanting for stuff to do: You hover your hand over her, and she squats and spreads her wings slightly. Handy if you want to catch her, but somewhat disturbing considering what it might say about her mental state.
Mine very seldom do the squat as part of the interaction involves how I behave in the presence of the hens. If the hens think I am into birds and the bees with them, then it is more likely a rooster will consider me competition. My roosters are all good buds with me because I am not trying to score on their women.

..and squatting is not always a sexual behavior, can just be submission to a superior.
I have a odd hen. Many of her behaviors are just strange for chickens. Any quick movements she squats. Any approach she squats. Haven’t figured out what her problem is and she has many. In the world of chickens I’m sure she’d be the first to be taken by a predator or simply done in by her flock mates or pushed off her feed enough to fail to thrive and die. She’ll squat at the door of the run with no one around her. So strange

mine didn't start squatting until just before they started laying, my australorps all squatted early and the others ran from me, now that they are all laying they all, and still!, squat (I have no rooster). but it sounds like this is normal! Sorry OP, i have never been down to a one chicken flock yet, maybe you can post an ad and someone will come rehome her.

Back
Top Bottom