For my fellow Orloff fans...

shelleyb1969

Star Bright Farm
11 Years
Jul 24, 2008
Brown City, Michigan (Thumb)
here's some pics of my Cuckoo rooster.
big_smile.png

He didn't have a tail (it had been picked out) when I first got him, but it's coming back nicely...just a slow process. He wasn't handled as a youngster, so this guy is quite the scaredy-chicken...
lau.gif
...every time I catch him he screams like a cat in a blender!!!
ep.gif
And because he's so skittish, I wasn't able to get too close for pics. So for the head shot, I actually had to catch him, lie him down on the table, and take the pic. I'm currently using him in a project for Crele Orloffs.
love.gif
My first project hatch is due on Thursday!
celebrate.gif

And for all you cat lovers out there, please take no offense...I've never actually heard a cat in a blender.
gig.gif
I'm basing my analogy on my imagination.
lol.png

13587_cuckoo_orloff.jpg

13587_cuckoo_orloff_1.jpg

13587_cuckoo_orloff_2.jpg

Quote:
Hi shelleyb1969

Is your Cuckoo rooster a Orloff x Delaware. I just hatched some eggs off for my brother and some of the eggs were Orloff x Delaware. They are two week old and look to have a barred feather pattern and all have the beard of the Orloff.

Long Horn Poultry Farm

Hi Long Horn!
I acquired my cuckoo roo from a breeder friend here in Michigan. We are working together to produce Crele Orloff...which my first chicks hatched yesterday.
yippiechickie.gif
My roo is not an Orloff/Delaware cross...he's pure Orloff. Without going off topic too much, I can say that Delawares have very dominant color genes. I've crossed Delaware to EEs and got chicks that look exactly like a Delaware, but have the muff, beards, and green legs like an EE. Crossed Dels to Rosecomb Rhode Island Reds, too, and got Rosecomb Delawares.
th.gif

Here's pics of the Crele chicks that just hatched from this roo and one of my spangled hens:
13587_crele_chicks.jpg

13587_crele_chick.jpg

The F1 Creles are pretty big now...but the color isn't there yet.
sad.png
But I knew this project would take some time. They're very unique, but just don't have enough color. I'll be crossing these F1 chicks back to a spangled rooster this winter and see what happens. I'm also going to have a separate Crele project pen with a spangled rooster over cuckoo hens...just the opposite of what I have now. I'll take the best chicks from that crossing and mix/match until I get it right.
thumbsup.gif

I'll try to get some pics of the F1 chicks tonight.
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom