1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

For people with unfriendly chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by menkot, Aug 4, 2007.

1. menkot

menkot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    I have found the secret to getting your chickens used to you and coming up to you. I know giving treats works but now for the top secret super chicken attractor.........

Are you sure you are ready for this???

Bright red crocs or fake crocs. Mine will not let my feet alone! I bought some el cheapos for my chicken yard shoes. They attack my feet every time I go in. I can't get them away from me. I have a gang of chickens at my feet every time. The ultimate chicken attractors. Who knew???? [​IMG]

2. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    I have purple fake crocs but I dont wear them in the yard because the tiny "fines" rocks on the driveway go thru the holes and I have to keep stopping to empty my shoes!

chel

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I thought my family and I were the only ones using fake crocs for the chicken yard![​IMG]

They work pretty well for that purpose!

(Mine are black though.)[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2007
  4. eggcetra_farms

eggcetra_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    I've posted this before, but.....

I have these light blue fake crocs with darker blue swirls on them that I think my roo finds "sexy," as he's attempted to mount my foot a few times. Weird, I know.

5. lizardz

lizardz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    Red painted toenails work, too. Sat out in the yard one day barefoot and they attacked! I was hopping around trying to get away, but they just mobbed me. My family was a lot of help - they were practically on the ground they were laughing so hard. [​IMG] The girls must think they're strawberries or tomatoes!LOL

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

[​IMG] LOL, I am so out of touch! I had no idea what a croc was other than the reptile. I was wondering why chickens were attracted to fake crocodiles, LOL!!! OMG, I have truly left society at last!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2007
  7. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    Mine like my toe rings. I have one on each foot and they bite so hard they try to rip them off my toes!!!!!! Ouch it hurts!!

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:You're not the only one. I had to google it to find it...

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I did that, too, LOL! And guess what? No way I could wear a weird rubber/plastic shoe like that where I live. TOTALLY impractical. I can just see myself bushwacking through the woods or hiking up the trails in that shoe. My Lord, that's a broken ankle waiting to happen.

10. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:When my DW said she had bought us some crocs I'm thinking as in a vessel, crock or crockery [​IMG]

I had no idea what they were.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by