For the MINIMALISTS - those who think less is more in chicken keeping - Please help

Pics
This thread is so long. Did we talk about leaving them in the coop for a week when you get them so they will know that's the safe place to sleep? Oh and they will probably want a cuddle box until they get roost trained. Sorry if that was already discussed.
They will be two months old. I can’t remember when mine started roosting but it might be around that time.
I don’t give a specific place for my younger ones to cuddle - they just pile themselves up on the floor which is very cute.
My current batch are 4 weeks old now and they love to pretend to roost - they all line up on the roost at bed time but then at the last minute they hop down and sleep in a heap.

They need to stay in the coop for the first week. Cover the door temporarily. This is important to teach them the coop is home, the coop is safe, and it will be a safe place to lay eggs. You can still bond with them. They will need the quiet time to settle and get used to their new surroundings. They will quickly learn your the giver of the food and you'll be their best friend.
They may not roost at first. They may puppy pile on the floor and that's OK. I gave mine a box. It made them feel safe.
Oh and you need to cover your nest boxes so they don't try and sleep in them. That's a bad habit you don't want.

Awww very pretty girls. Have no fear before long you won't be able to do anything without them under your feet and you will feel terrible about stepping on somebody's toe!
It's pretty normal in a young flock to go out and have to figure out who's bleeding. They will figure out their pecking order by literal pecking. This is why we got our first aide kit before we got the chicks. :thumbsup
I still don't know if it was a scuffle with someone else or she cut herself. I did notice another one pecking at the injury. I knew they do that to each other but it was disturbing.

Side question, their poop is really gross looking sometimes. How do I know when the poop isn't normal?

Back
Top Bottom