For the MINIMALISTS - those who think less is more in chicken keeping - Please help

I thought course sand was the most sanitary. The bedding/litter system seems kind of gross because it is layers upon layers of poop. Doesn't that harbor bacteria? Doesn't it smell bad?

The thing with the Deep Bedding is that the poops are quickly dried out so that bacteria can never grow. Then, when you clean it out and make a compost pile the poop and the shavings/etc. compost together and the composting reaction destroys the bacteria (moreso with a hot compost pile, but in due time with a cold compost pile too).

Personally, I think that sand is unsanitary. When you scoop it there is poop dust left behind but it can never compost. Should it ever get wet it will REEK. When you take it out you're left with a pile of poopy sand, which won't compost, just rot.

How do you handle food and water? I read something intersting about using a large trash can with feeders for food, and the rainwater collection system. I haven't thorougly researched the rainwater deal yet.

If possible, I prefer to keep feed and water in the run. That keeps spills from contaminating the coop.

I like the old-fashioned hanging metal feeders with the deep pan and the inward-rolled lip to minimize spillage and waste:

In Praise of the Traditional Hanging Feeder

I also like horizontal nipple waterers. I make them from 3-gallon containers that the grocery store bakery gets frosting in because I work in a grocery store and because I can't lift a 5-gallon bucket of water.

Did you read the article on ventilation that I linked in my first post?

I can't see the ventilation for the coop portion clearly in those photos to tell how much there is or where it's positioned. Compare the article to the plans and ask me any questions that you have afterward. :)

That's remarkably generous dimensions for a first coop and a proposed 5-6 chicken flock. WELL DONE!!!!

We're frequently having to gently inform people new to chickens that they need to double or triple the size of their coop but not this time. You're well above the recommended 4 square feet per bird coop space/10 square feet run space. :)

My only concern is that the long, skinny coop portion may be inconvenient to access and keep clean. Are there pop doors for the chickens at both ends? If not, a bully hen could trap one of the others in the depths of the coop and beat up the victim.

BTW, any interior space used by the nestboxes doesn't count when calculating the square footage.

Firstly, and this is to you and everyone else responding to me - thank you for your kindness and patience, and for not making me feel stupid for some of my bad ideas :)

Oh GREAT, thank you for your blessing with the dimensions. I consider that a closed case.

I did see your first response but am trying to reply to the short responses and planned to go back to yours and really dig through. I will look at the ventilation link and the deep bedding link as soon as I can. Thank you.

I just emailed the person I bought the plans from to ask about ventilation in the coop. We can add more if needed.

I looked at a video online of the coop and it looks like there are 4 doors - 2 together that open and another 2 together that open. I believe the whole thing opens up. I'm going to attach photos. Hopefully it's somewhat clear

What do you think?

There is a 2 minute video that is a tour of the coop in case you're interested:

Attachments

• Capture 2.JPG
    Capture 2.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Capture 3.JPG
    Capture 3.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 13
I don't know if it's been suggested but wheat straw (not hay) works well for me. Being in S.E. Louisiana I'm used to dealing with water. Straw is hollow and also you're waxy feeling so it repels water as opposed to soaking it up. It stays on top and allowa the water to drain and your birds feet stay clean. No need to remove it just layer after it packs down. I prefer 3 wire bales from a real feed and seed ad opposed to tractor supply which does sell it by me but it's in a plastic bag and cut up.
Okay thanks so much for the suggestion, smd

Chickens you know, they're little feckers. :D All those plans and attempts at being efficient and then the chickens have their say.:lau

I've got some advice for you, buy your eggs at a store if that is all you want out of the chicken.
Alternatively, learn to enjoy the chickens. If your efficiency does save you any time spend that with the chickens. They're really interesting creatures.

Chickens you know, they're little feckers. :D All those plans and attempts at being efficient and then the chickens have their say.:lau

I've got some advice for you, buy your eggs at a store if that is all you want out of the chicken.
Alternatively, learn to enjoy the chickens. If your efficiency does save you any time spend that with the chickens. They're really interesting creatures.
I figured someone would call me out eventually. That's my whole point. I want to hang out with the chickens with my time, not continually constantly clean their poop and coop if there is a good method to utilize that will save me time. Again, I'm not lazy, I'm just trying to find the best method for my family. I homeschool my son and this would be a good thing for us to do together. I am willing to put in the time and effort but am asking those of you with a lot of experience for shortcut help because you know your stuff. If someone asked for my help with the most effective homeschool curriculum, I would be thrilled to guide them, rather than them try 5 different curriculums only to see that they are awful.

Deep Bedding -- a dry, non-composting system -- in the coop.

Deep Litter -- a moist, actively composting system -- in the run.

Unless your run is fully covered and stays absolutely dry -- in which case that's Deep Bedding too. :)
Is there a difference in deep bedding vs deep litter besides deep bedding is dry because it's in the coop which is dry - and deep litter is moist because it is in the run where sometimes there might be some rain or dew or snow?

Is this correct:
1. Add a starting layer of some material (straw and/or pine shavings?) to the linoleum bottom of the coop and the dirt bottom of the run a few inches high.
2. Everyday? or when it looks like there's a decent amount of poop, add another layer (how much?).
3. Keep doing this for a few weeks.
4. Then toss it all around.
5. Add another layer.
6. Wait a few weeks.
7. Then toss it all around
8. Repeat...
9. Once or twice a year or sometimes even longer, take the material out of the coop and run, and put it all over my lawn and then repeat the process.

Did you read the article on ventilation that I linked in my first post?

I can't see the ventilation for the coop portion clearly in those photos to tell how much there is or where it's positioned. Compare the article to the plans and ask me any questions that you have afterward. :)

That's remarkably generous dimensions for a first coop and a proposed 5-6 chicken flock. WELL DONE!!!!

We're frequently having to gently inform people new to chickens that they need to double or triple the size of their coop but not this time. You're well above the recommended 4 square feet per bird coop space/10 square feet run space. :)

My only concern is that the long, skinny coop portion may be inconvenient to access and keep clean. Are there pop doors for the chickens at both ends? If not, a bully hen could trap one of the others in the depths of the coop and beat up the victim.

BTW, any interior space used by the nestboxes doesn't count when calculating the square footage.

I heard back from the coop designer. He said the henhouse is very well ventilated with a hardware cloth ceiling that runs the entire width. See the attached photo.

Will they be cold in the winter?

Attachments

• Coop.jpg
    Coop.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom