For the MINIMALISTS - those who think less is more in chicken keeping - Please help

I can overthink and overcomplicate about anything. I'll apply that to egg shells.
HA! I'm a fellow overthinker and overcomplicater. We can speak in our own language 😂
Chickens do not digest every bit of calcium they eat. Some of it goes straight through and out the back end. Also they need some of the calcium they do digest for body functions. What this means is that if the only calcium they were getting is from their own eggshells it is a losing proposition.

But that is not the only calcium they get. They will get some in the feed, a fair amount out of yours. Some plants and kitchen scraps they eat may have calcium. If they catch any creepy crawlies they may get some. If your native rock is limestone they can get a lot from that. Some people don't need oyster shell or egg shell, the chickens find enough calcium from other sources. For some people the egg shells are enough to take care of needs. Some people may need something in addition to the egg shell.

What does all of this mean to you? If your egg shells are hard, they are getting enough calcium from somewhere. Whatever you are doing is working.
These are great things to keep in mind. I appreciate the insight. I'll be sure to keep an eye on their shells once they start laying. This is interesting because I have noticed that some of the eggs I buy have very thin shells. Does this mean those hens are unhealthy? I buy them from a cheap giant supermarket so if the answer is yes, that would make sense.

But what should I feed them before 20 weeks? Do you have specific brands and/or types that you really like? Or brand/types that you don't like?

I start my chicks on a bag of medicated chick feed. When that runs out I transition to an all-flock type feed for the rest of their lives.

I am not picky about the brand, as long as the protein is between 18-22% I figure that they should do fine. My local farm supply store carries Purina, Nutrena, and Southern States brand feeds (which have been cycling types and availability over the past year with supply chain issues). I would LOVE to be able to buy from a local mill, but the savings wouldn't justify the gas to drive to the nearest -- which is over an hour away.

The one feed-related thing I've noticed is that on the occasion when I have to buy a bag of cheap layer feed to tide them over because I either can't get to the farm store or the farm store has been sold out they eat significantly more feed than usual -- finishing the 100lbs I buy at a time in roughly 80-90% of the time I'd have expected it to last.

I do not credit this to them "liking" that feed. I credit it to them instinctively knowing that the feed is less nutritious and increasing their overall intake in order to compensate.

Side question: do the shells draw rodents and bugs? Wondering if I can keep them out in a bowl rather than make another PVC feeder.

I only dry my feed and don't bake them, but I do not find that dried shells attract any interest from any creature other than laying hens. Baking them would be extra insurance for this.

What this means is that if the only calcium they were getting is from their own eggshells it is a losing proposition.

Your answer was more nuanced than what I planned on saying. :)

I consider a 50# bag of oystershell every couple years cheap insurance.

Note: Go ahead and buy the 50# bag. It doesn't spoil and costs only 3 times the price of the 5# bag for 10 times as much.

My suggestion it to not go all out at first. Get the basics and buy stuff as it's needed. If you go all out at first you will probably realize you waisted money on stuff you don't need and now have no use for. Shelter bedding feeder and wateter. Go from there as they grow

Good advice.

Chickens are tough, adaptable livestock that do well under many different management systems as long as their basic needs are met.

Thanks
I agree.
Spend money on good quality stock to start. You can have all the cool stuff you want but fancy roosts can't make weak blood good

And know what you mean by "quality".

If you want to show, get show birds from show breeders.

If you want backyard layers, get hardy, healthy birds of breeds well-suited to your climate and conditions.

If you want max egg production for sales, get production layer hybrids.

If you want feathered pets get birds from breeds and/or lines known for tameness and docility.

If you want self-sufficient free-rangers who thrive with minimal human input get birds who come from that kind of environment.

Etc. :D

I start my chicks on a bag of medicated chick feed. When that runs out I transition to an all-flock type feed for the rest of their lives.
I remember you said you do this because you have a mixed flock. Makes sense to give them all-flock.

I am not picky about the brand, as long as the protein is between 18-22% I figure that they should do fine. My local farm supply store carries Purina, Nutrena, and Southern States brand feeds (which have been cycling types and availability over the past year with supply chain issues). I would LOVE to be able to buy from a local mill, but the savings wouldn't justify the gas to drive to the nearest -- which is over an hour away.
18-22% noted.

The one feed-related thing I've noticed is that on the occasion when I have to buy a bag of cheap layer feed to tide them over because I either can't get to the farm store or the farm store has been sold out they eat significantly more feed than usual -- finishing the 100lbs I buy at a time in roughly 80-90% of the time I'd have expected it to last.

I do not credit this to them "liking" that feed. I credit it to them instinctively knowing that the feed is less nutritious and increasing their overall intake in order to compensate.

Wow, this is interesting. Are you able to share the "cheap" brands? I'd like to stay away from them.

I only dry my feed and don't bake them, but I do not find that dried shells attract any interest from any creature other than laying hens. Baking them would be extra insurance for this.
Excellent, thank you

Your answer was more nuanced than what I planned on saying. :)

I consider a 50# bag of oystershell every couple years cheap insurance.

Note: Go ahead and buy the 50# bag. It doesn't spoil and costs only 3 times the price of the 5# bag for 10 times as much.
Great suggestion, thank you

And know what you mean by "quality".

If you want to show, get show birds from show breeders.

If you want backyard layers, get hardy, healthy birds of breeds well-suited to your climate and conditions.

If you want max egg production for sales, get production layer hybrids.

If you want feathered pets get birds from breeds and/or lines known for tameness and docility.

If you want self-sufficient free-rangers who thrive with minimal human input get birds who come from that kind of environment.

Etc. :D
Well said!

Back
Top Bottom