For the poop board

annaraven

Born this way
9 Years
Apr 15, 2010
SillyCon Valley
So, I found that scraping the poop board in the morning could be a pain sometimes if the poop got kinda, well, sticky. I thought about what I could use to make it easier. Tried newspapers - the girls just scratched that up. Wood chips gave the girls the wrong idea since that's what I use in their nesting boxes. It had to be something easy to use - like scoopable cat litter. But I wanted it compostable.

Finally found something I really really like. It's an all critter litter that's pelletized plant fibers. My girls don't like pellet foods; they prefer crumbles, so I don't need to worry about them eating it. But even if they did, it wouldn't hurt them.

It actually smells nice when I walk in - not just neutral but almost like new-mown hay. I've used it for a couple weeks now and wanted to report that it's a great product. I got a cat-litter scoop that had wide enough slots that the pellets fall through but the poop stays on the scoop. And the couple of times the girls had a "fart-egg" on the roost, it absorbed enough of the liquid that it wasn't a temptation for them.

All in all, the best way of keeping the poopboard easy to clean that I've found and I just wanted to report on it.

Thanks! I just built a poop board and have been trying to decide the best covering for it. I'm trying plain corrugated plastic, but if doesn't work out will try your method!

Mine has linoleum on it and pine shavings. Not glued on but wrapped and strips of 1x2 screwed on. Holding up well and washable as needed here.

I do like options.
Thank you for posting.

Back
Top Bottom