For those of us out in the booneys......

Zen.....do you have any pics of your greenhouse? I Soooo want one...and have a great SW area to put it in....just dont know how...

md-bucks...I can cook on my wood stove, and there is a space in there for bakeing! Yup...I can make biscuits on a wood stove! May not be "Martha Stewart pretty" but yummy, and thats what counts in a pinch!

Last edited:
i am going to have to set something up, this is first time for living on a very rural road with well water... always was near main rd that electric went back on fast. we will have no water if lose electric. dang.

i also work where in emergencies we are required to go to work. i teach at a residential school for jr and high school. since they live there we always need the staff. or some get stuck there for days. i have gone in in some zany weather leaving dh and dd's' at home nice dry and comfie. (so annoying when they then call and say 'whatcha doin?') not looking forward to a bad winter!

Quote:
Never even thought about that, have propane grill, and white gas and propane coleman stoves. Also have a trailer full of Boyscout stoves and stuff if I got desperate could raid that too. Only time we've been without power for more than 24 hours was during Hurican Floyd, and since Aunt is on same grid with Hospital we were able to go get plenty of water once roads were clear

Hey y'all, let me ask y'all a question, I too have a big upright freezer that I try to NOT keep so very well stocked for the main reason OF losing power thus losing all that you have in the freezers. It happened to us about 6 yrs. ago, Big ice storm ( NC doesn't get much snow we get ice ) lost every thing in freezer and ref. Our insurance com. reinburst us 500.00 but it was a pain in the butt to have to call around to get prices on deer meat ect.. Just curious

Edit for bad spelling

Last edited:
When we bought our house three years ago, we had torrential rains three weeks after we moved in...the power went out, the sump pump stopped, and our basement flooded. We went out and bought a generator with a control panel that was wired to run the furnace, AC, refrigerator and television. Yep, it was really expensive and the purchase did hurt...but boy, was it worth it. We don't worry any more. And of course, since we bought it, we've had only ONE power outage (for about a half hour) in three years.
he.gif
We even had a severe ice storm over Christmas almost two years ago that knocked out power across the entire metropolitan area of Columbus for nearly a week, with temperatures near zero...but of course, OUR power stayed on. I actually would have liked the opportunity to use the generator! Isn't that just the way it goes?

Amy

Windy Oaks-If you are in my region Maryland is calling for one of the MILDEST winters in Years so we should brace for disaster.

gig.gif
No kidding, but you know... we had a very mild winter last year! Quite frankly we are getting really tired of no snow. I think we had two days last winter and it melted by noon. For us, we love to snowboard and play in the snow... we live ontop of a big hill and havent been able to use our toys in about 5 years!!!!
barnie.gif
NO, I am not saying that I like Blizzards... but we would like enough (12-16") to play in!!!!

Another thing you all forgot is the GRILL!!! We always have enoguh propane to run the grill in the winter. We have all cast iron pots, pans, etc... we can make just about anything if the power goes out!!! Even scrambled and fried eggs.​

We live just outside of Pittsburgh and it doesn't matter how bad the weather gets here life just goes on. Last week we got a memo at work that petty much said the only way we won't be required to show would be in the case of nuclear attack!! In 1993 we had a bad blizzard that kept most people off the road (alot of folks got in trouble for not showing up for work) but everything was still open. The snow didn't stop me. I find it easier to drive in the more there is. Less people out there helps. At the time I owned a Mercury Sable and let me tell you that car went anywhere. Now that we've moved to a more rural area I figure if worse comes to worse we can borrow a horse from the neighbor.

As far as stocking up goes...I don't dare with 4 teenagers. The more I keep in the pantry the more they eat!!

Quote:
You are better off to have a full freezer when the power goes out than one that is half full. When you use things out of your freezer you can put jugs of ice back in, that way you also have a bit more emergency water supply. If the power goes out: do not open the freezer, cover it with extra insulation. Go to yard sales and find some old comforters very cheep to keep on hand to wrap the freezer in. If it is winter and you have access to pleanty of water you can freeze it in trays outside over night and put them under the comforters on the top of the freezer. The cold will sink down and keep thing good a while longer.

justusnak - I'll get a photo of the greenhouse later in the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom