For those of us out in the booneys......

justusnak

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Feb 28, 2007
South Eastern Indiana
With the wierd weather this year, and the Farmers Almanac predicting BLIZZARD for this area...whats everyone stocking THIER pantries with?? Or are you stocking up at all??? We live about 10 minutes from town..and if there is a large snow....we wont get to town at all.
We are getting ready for the winter weather. Got the wood stove put in FINALLY...wood split and ready seasoned...For the pantry....5 or 6 cans of stew meat, tuna, salmon...10 each of...canned potatoes, green beans,carrotts, peas,corn, tomato paste, beats, chili beans, red beans....I canned our tomatoes..so have plenty of those. Canned milk..and powdered milk, plenty coffee and creamer, and filters....Oh, dont forget the TP..LOL...backup bags of dog food, and of course chicken feed....several cans of soup ( like 15 or 20)...10 pounds of each flour, ( regular and self riseing) sugar. ..and LOTS of different pastas...and dry beans. Home canned peaches,( about 10 quarts) several( like 30 pints) of home made jams and jellies. Dont forget the yeast, for breads...and the vegetable oil ( 4 of those plus a can of lard) We have 4 Kerosene lamps full, and 2 gallons of extra fluid...plus about 200 candles( I get them when they are on sale after Christmas for 10 cents each!) Do I plan ahead?? YOU BET!! I have been through ONE blizzard...in 78...NOT FUN! We are stocked and ready...I say....bring it on! LOL
Oh...and we have a LONG rope, that reaches from the house to the coop...and a wood stove out in the shop ( coope is connected to the shop) in case we need to use it as well.

Dang Deb, you've got it together girl. I couldn't imagine being up with all that cold & snow.
All we have to look forward to is a couple of real cold months, Jan & Feb. It just rains alot here in winter.
I just make sure I've got some nice warm boots & tie off my canoe real good, lol.

MOST of my orginization comes from being a military wife for 20 years....and living in Alaska. With both of those in my backround.....I HAVE to be organised. Each can in the pantry is dated on top with permanent marker, to the date I put them in there. DH says im picky.....I say..im prepared..and IF the time comes...he will change his tune and be glad I was ready for it all.

When are you expecting the snow?? I hope we don't get anything soon, but I heard it's going to be earlier this season.
tongue.png
We live in the boonies too. I hate the thought of snow. I hate dragging out the kids snowsuits too. It's quite chilly here tonight, I'm going to have to clean out the woodstove room this weekend, cause we're going to need it.

Deb, please don't tell me you have everything in the pantry in alphabetical order? My husband would die if he knew there were two of us in the world!!!! LOL!!!

Oh, we are no ware NEAR getting snow yet....only in the 40's tonight but back to the 80's next week. UGH! The Farmers Almanac said..." dont be surprised to see a blizzard in Feb."
Kristen.....ok, I wont tell you...but!!! ok, maybe I AM picky!????

Hey Deb, whats it saying for central VA area? There has not been a harsh winter here in forever!!! DH says the last one was like in the late 80's early 90's so we know there is one due here soon... We live quite far ourselves. driving takes me 15 to 20 minutes to get to town... Personally we do stock up for winter no matter what... and thanks for reminding me that it is getting to be that time again. Can goods, Boxed goods, and yucky powdered milk but gotta have it. LOL...
We just cut down 10 acres a couple of moths ago so we are good with our wood!!! All we have to do is stack it. ugggg!!! Why DH waits to the last minute is beyond me LOL.
You do have it together girl!!! My hat is off to you!!!
Tes

By the way, those of you who have a "Food Lion" they have chicken noodle and tomato soup 2 for 1.00 at least here they do anyways lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom