For those of us out in the booneys......

Same here. My philosophy is if something happened to Mama (me) and the DH and DD had to be without me for 5 minutes, at least I could leave it in my will where EVERYTHING is. It just wouldn't ever be put back LOL!!!!!!

Tes.....im not sure what it says for your area....maybe you are in the same "region"?? My mother has the book...I will try to look it up tomorrow...when I see her. Yeah, we dont like the "yukky powdered milk" BUT..better than nuttin...canned milnot works good too, in cooking. I actually use it for mashed taters..makes them more creamy.
Kristen....its only me and the DH out here...all the kids are grown and moved away..but they know where to come, if times get hard...moms pantry is always full! LOL

Thanks Deb, I believe we are in zone 1 at least that is what it says on the site... but cant get any more info then that...

I too use canned milk in mashed taters... yummmmmm lol. if DH knew he would scream LOL... he is the most finiky man ever!!! lol.

Deb,
I am so in sinc with you! We have wood stoves and lots of wood cut and ready, I have not lit our propane furnace in the past 4 years. Cases of canned goods in the pantry, 25 lbs of rice (in the freezer for freshness), 100 lbs of wheat, 50 lbs of oats, 50 lbs of pinto beans, 40 lbs of sugar, and backups of all the other things we normally use, including coffee and salt. We have a generator for the well and 2 deep freezes, a 1400 gallon water tank and two propane tanks. The winter squashes from the garden are almost ready to harvest, and they last for many months. We have a large greenhouse for fresh winter salads and tomatoes. Pleanty of food on hand for all the animals too. If the weather is bad we just stay home! A lot of time when the weather is good we stay home! My sincere appologies to Terrielacy and others having to go to a job and to those of you in cramped spaces.

wooden-pony......well...we cant afford the generator just yet. I would love to have one, and yes, we lose power ALL the time out here. I swear...seems when a bird passes gas ( I don tknow if they can do that or not but) we lose power. LOL AT LEAST once a month out here.
About the avatar.....thanks...but no, I do not make them. Heck...I wish I did!! Such talent there.
Zen: I would LOVE to have a greenhouse....but my aunt has one, and she ALWAYS complains about how hard it is to keep warm in the winter months or how expencive it is. Hmmmm...might have to rethink that then. But I just love the idea of haveing the fresh greens in the winter.

Windy Oaks-If you are in my region Maryland is calling for one of the MILDEST winters in Years so we should brace for disaster.

I dont stock anything EXTRA. But I do have a generator that if we loose power I can tap into circuits and run anything in the house,well heater lights etc... for about a week. Also have inverter that I can run pellet stove off of using tractor or car battery and an extention cord. Plenty of TP on hand at all times. Why stock up on flour, rice, etc... if you have no power what are you gonna do with it.

Deb,
Our greenhouse is earth bermed on two sides, and has no supplimental heat, so it really doesn't have any ongoing costs. It can get down to the 30's on occasion in there. We get a lot of sun so most of the time it is quite nice inside at night. The most tender tropical plants like the pineapples and ginger still come into our house for the winter. I keep the main part of the house around 70 degrees at night because our dog is old and short coated.

We stock a pantry, always have. We have never been snowed in for more than 3 days. But I am more of a sale stocker than a disaster stocker. I have 2 freezers and a huge pantry in the basement. I try to stock at least 3 months of staples in the pantry.

We also camp so I have a propane stove, extra propane, and lanterns.

We heat our house with a wood stove and the heat is captured and sent through the duckwork. So, without power we really suffer after the first day with no well pump, but a generator is just too expensive but were warm. But the crick is always available here in the booneys.

Back
Top Bottom