1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

for those of you firmilar with type

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CDAT, Sep 14, 2010.

1. CDAT

CDAT Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2009
    Looking for some help re type. Looking to breed a standard size silkie, what breed would be most in line with silkie type to do the first crosses? I have been thinking brahma or cochin would make the most sense since they share a lot of traits, but might there be another large breed that would be more in line with the silkie type.

My end goal, many years down the road, would be to have all the silkie features/type but that is standard size around 8 pounds for cockerels. I have even been considering adding in some leghorn/RIR to increase egg production.

Any insight into type would be very helpful.

2. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    wonder if you just use silkies? Many silkies in the US are around 2lbs the LF silkies in Britain are about 4lbs. Or you could use a large fowl cochin to keep the roundness of the silkie and the abundant foot feathering. They also are fairly large.

3. TomNY

TomNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    I started a similar project a few years back. My first cross was Silky over White Leghorn. The theory being the increase in egg production would give me more birds to choose from in a shorter time. I would do the same again for whites and use Golden Comets if I was working towards a color. Tom

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by