For those of you out there that hate King snakes (black snakes)

StrawberryHouseMouse

Songster
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
Cleveland, Tennessee
Tell me which would you rather them eat? A chick ever so often, or a copper head that would of sent you to the hospital?

35426_405778133636_630303636_426056.jpg

Wow, I'm from the Copper Basin Area and I hate those copperheads! One got a hold of one of my brother's dogs last year and it almost died. He spent several dollars on vet bills. Go Kings, you guys ROCK!

I would prefer no snakes but if I had to choose I would pick the king snakes. I new a elderly lady that used to feed her "pets" fresh milk they where two very large blacksnakes and she swore they kept the timber rattlers away, they sure kept me away they seemed freaking huge to me when I was 7 years old!! still gives me the chills I gotta stop looking at these snake threads

OMG, I agree with Lamoka. I don't want any, but if I have to have some, give me the black or king ones. I didn't know they would REALLY EAT THE VENOMOUS ONES!!!! Thanks so much..

A lot of people don't know that, so don't feel bad. I love snakes, even the venomous ones. But I also have children and other pets. I rather keep a king snake in my yard to feed on the others like copperheads. They are welcomed! I've even released some in the past into my yard after rescuing them from the school parking lot or park. The way I look at it, if a snake large enough to eat your chickens gets in your coops then its your own fault for not having the coops predator proofed enough.

We love to have king snakes at our place. The black snakes are caoght and rehomed. Great pic. Thanks for sharing.

There's quite a few different "black snakes" some king snakes come in different patterns and such, most solid black snakes are actually called Rat snakes. But there is some solid black kings too. So I suggest everyone do research on wild colubrids.

I rarely have any poisonous snakes here in the neighborhood, I haven't seen any for years. But I would like one of those king snakes to keep the filthy rats away, I saw a few black racers but they were just juvies.

Quote:
Most snakes will hang around your coops but not cause they are after chickens. Rather.. rats, squirrels and rabbits are attracted to coops cause of the chicken feed. The snakes know this and hang around waiting for those pests.

I usually have 6 or 7 blacksnakes hanging around. For some reason they were a little late coming around this year. I killed 4 Copperheads before they finally showed up. I tried to get pics of one swallowing a small Copperhead, but by the time I got the camera the deed was done. I do watch out for the blacksnakes and even give them eggs every now and then. If I'm working on something and they're around, I just pick them up and move them across the yard so I don't accidentally hurt them(or get startled myself...lol).

Here is George, he has been hanging around for about 3yrs now. He is very docile and lets me pick him up without a struggle. He is now 73" long. Yes I measure him every year.

42454_blacksnake_002.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom