For those of you out there that hate King snakes (black snakes)

I've never heard of Indigos living as far north as the carolinas. But I will say George is a GOOD snake! You are lucky to have him around. Now I feel a little bit guilty about "rehoming" the 5 ft black rat I found in my living room. Sent him down to the barn, hopefully my borders show him some justice!

In FL we used to always have indigos hanging around the barn. One lived in the hay room and would go out every morning and come back every night. I always stopped what I was doing to watch her slither down the aisle
smile.png

Last edited:
nice things a bout indigos is even if u step on them they dont get defensive they just slither away they have a very docile calm nature to people even more then king snakes

Any of you ever read the Jesse Stuart story "Old Ben"?

I would love to learn to reward my favorite familiar rat snake with milk. I always just thought that was some tall tale, giving a snake milk. I have actually rescued about a 5 footer twice this spring when my snake-hating dog was cornering it. Considering the circumstances I am glad it didn't bite me, i just got a good flailing and musked!

Quote:
Your correct. They are federally endangered and never ranged into the Carolinas. There are a couple very isolated populations in SE Georgia but thats as far north as this tropical species gets. In south Texas, Mexico, Central and South America there are others in the same family. All are very impressive beasts!

One thing that people may be interested in: No one in the US has EVER died from a copperhead bite. Ever. They're venomous, and should be taken seriously, but can't be considered lethal.

One of the old names for black rat snakes is the "pilot" blacksnake. Old timers used to think they guided copperheads to and from hibernation spots. Both tend to hibernate in rocky outcrops so I suppose they were seen traveling along similar pathways.

As far as George being a male: Snakes sometimes gather together in favorable places regardless of gender. So seeing a group doesn't mean one is male, 2 female, etc. During spring some male rat snakes engage in combat which can look like mating. This time of year the females are basking more, depending on temps, trying to get their eggs/young developed. They will become more nocturnal as the heat builds this summer.

Amarie, I'm betting yours was one of the subspecies of coachwhip snake (Masticophis) - it has a lot of local names and ranges across the southern part of the US. They can get big, or at least long and are very fast (for a snake). Tend to feed on small birds, small mammals and lizards but will also eat other snakes. They are sight hunters and fascinating to watch.

Wish I could send George the copperhead baby I saw today. Here in my section of Tennessee (we are right on the GA/TN line) it has been very hot... thought the snakes would be hiding during the day to stay cool. Yet this baby copper was out and about going across mowed lawn, right where my kids were. I was astounded to find out that all snakes are protected in TN, so it is against the law to kill even a copperhead. But if there is a choice to be made, MY babies will be protected. Every time.
wink.png
And I wouldn't even feel bad. I love having the kingsnakes around - they can do the 'culling' for me! Cool pictures from everyone - thanks for posting them!

wood&feathers :

Any of you ever read the Jesse Stuart story "Old Ben"?

I would love to learn to reward my favorite familiar rat snake with milk. I always just thought that was some tall tale, giving a snake milk. I have actually rescued about a 5 footer twice this spring when my snake-hating dog was cornering it. Considering the circumstances I am glad it didn't bite me, i just got a good flailing and musked!

I'm not sure where the legends of snakes enjoying milk come from. Our north american milksnakes were so named because people once believed they were found in barns because they were after the cow's milk. But no snake drinks milk naturally. The milk snakes are there because the mice are there :)

In India certain religious sects put out saucers of milk for the snakes. But again, there's no evidence the snakes actually drink it. Maybe its like the cookies and milk we leave for Santa :)

Its sure good to hear from so many people who are working with snakes rather than killing them. I'm surprised and heartened!
I have a fox snake living in my chicken house. (Fox snakes are north central subspecies of rat snakes). So far it seems to eat mice and sparrows - and an occasional egg. I think its a pretty good trade off.

I hope it moves into the garden and eats up the moles next!​

just a note u rather be bit then being musked being musked is worse being bit does not hurt much snakes have NO jaw pressure they are weak in the jaws well unless its a indigo

I'd rather be bit then musked any day, one of the reasons why I don't breed kings anymore.

While not known for eating snakes, its not unheard of in ratsnakes. Not very common at all however but in the wild hunger can make them do it.

So now that I am really confused.....are black racers the snakes we have around tampa bay area of FL, that as juvies are kind of mottled and shake their tails like a rattler and will coil and strike at you and as adults are very shiney black and very fast (forget about catching these guys) not to mention jumpy as in if you do come up on one they startle you trying to get away??? These guys have tiny heads, but are very very fast.

So, if I understand this thread, black racers (which is what I think I have in this urban neighborhood) are very different snakes from the black rat snake????

So do black racers eat chicks???? or just the eggs????????? neither????????????

fl.gif

thanks for the info!

Deb

I don't know about that. Here's some photos of a bite I got from a "harmless" 18 inch western hognose snake. I should say that hognose snakes never bite - this one grabbed me by mistake when I was feeding it a dead mouse. I let it chew on me for a couple minutes because the effects of the bite of a hognose snake is in need of investigation - they have rudimentary venom glands and enlarged rear teeth.

Hognose are real bluffers - hissing, striking, etc. But they never even open their mouths when they strike, Its all bluff.

Here's the pics... Don't look if you don't like blood :)

http://www.herpnet.net/bite/

Back
Top Bottom