For those of you that have cows?

Willow's Meadow

Songster
9 Years
Apr 16, 2010
I was wondering what are basic housing/pasture needs for a cow? Are they exspensive? I would love to own a milking cow...I do have a barn as well as pastures.

It depends on how much pasture you have and what is growing in it. Is there good quality grass or is it mixed with weeds, or is it mostly weeds? I haven't had a cow in years, and can't remember exactly how much pasture one cow would need. A talk with your county agriculture extension agent would yield some good information. I would love to have a milk cow, too, but I don't want to have to milk 2x a day! Maybe when (if) I ever retire? But then I wouldn't be able to travel, sooo probably not!
lol.png

How much pasture a single cow needs depends on the type of grass you have and what your weather is like. Where we live we need 7-8 acres of grass minimum per beef cow/calf pair for the summer 6 month grazing season. If you've got access to hay and supplement with hay and grain you wouldn't need that much acreage. A milk cow is going to need better feed to keep her milk supply up than a beef cow does.

You do need to be prepared to be tied down with milking twice a day, plus you'll need to remember she'll need to be bred every year to keep her milk supply at a good level. It's good to allow them to go dry for the couple of months before she calves again.

I have no pasture at all....to dry hear no water rights or water system. I can tell you to feed my cows cost me more money on feed then each horse. But each horse costs more money for everything else they need then each cow. So probably about even.

We have three jersey mammas and their month old sons (yes three bull calves) on + or - four acres that we rotate. I have more ground, but they haven't needed it, as we have had a lot of rain and the grass is very good. I provide hay, but limit their feed, and they are very slick and healthy. The calves are still with their moms 24/7, and we are milking once a day. That gives us lots and lots of milk, and eases the chore burden. I got seven and a half gallons this morning and that's plenty as far as I'm concerned!! They pay for their feed and labor, but not the initial investment, and we eat pretty well!!!!

I have 6 Scottish Highlanders and they have access to 10 acres of good grass and 30 acres of wooded pasture which they really like to browse. I am going to sell the heifers and get Dexters since it's only DH and me and we don't need that much meat. Plus Dexters produce more milk than needed for the calf so you could milk them and not get near as much as with a full sized cow.

Back
Top Bottom