for those that use deep litter method...please advise me

Quote:
Really, is it because it acts and an insulator on the floor? My coop sits about 4 feet off the ground,
should I put that much shavings in my coop as well? Please explain more if you can.

As I understand it, the deep litter is fermenting and giving off heat (composting, if you will) and it will insulate the floor as well. I researched Dlm a lot when building the coop. Love it, no poop boards no smell. I add a whole bag of pine about once a month.

I believe the original idea was that DL composts in the coop, creating heat. I doubt you can really do that in a small coop 4' off the ground. But of course, a deep pile of pine shavings will insulate to some degree in itself.

My coop is 11x17 and has a dirt floor, traditional in my area. This is really the sort of coop where DLM took hold, I believe.

Quote:
So is it possible that the DLM will not work for me because my coop sits 4 ft off the ground? Is there another method
I should use given the design of my coop? What is your opinion?

My coop is 2 feet off the ground and we live on a hill top so the wind really cuts here. It sounds a lot more complicated than it is.

Build your coop. Throw in a few bags of pine shavings to start, spread them out, walk away and do your thing. Come back in a few days and turn it with a heavy (i mean super duty garden rake) rake. When they look a bit ragged throw in another bag ( I buy the stuff that expands to 8 cu for $4). The more bedding you have the heavier it here so as you go you need a heavy duty rake. During building I added a 2x6 stretched in front of the interior of my door and their door to keep the pine in. Oh, and did I say I don't use poop boards?

Quote:
That is what I was wondering. I guess I read that it works best if the coop has a dirt floor. If it will
work in mine being that it sits 4ft off the ground I am all for it.

I haven't heard that, but I'm no expert. Like I said my coop is elevated and I think as I researched a lot of coops I looked at and read about were off the ground. Shavings on my wood floor, although I am thinking I may tac a piece of linolium down come cleaning time just to make getting the mashed in stuff up easier, but I haven't decided that. It works for me and I love it.

Back
Top Bottom