for those that use deep litter method...please advise me

It's really a simple concept that saves a lot of time and effort - all you have to do is add more shavings as the amount of poop accumulates.

Initially, I put shavings down in the coop and scooped EVERYTHING out once a month. After a while, it starts to get old, and you go two months. When you get to the point that you go three months, essentially, it's deep litter! BUT, you have to add more shavings so you don't get a ratio that is too much poop vs shavings. The coop floor is wood (painted over with 3 coats of porch paint) and after 4 months, the floor is dry, the shavings and poop have partially composted, and there is very little dust. The area under the roost is a little deeper, but it's not gross, stinky, or wet. Yes, there are some flies, but no more than when I was cleaning the coop every month or so.

Cleanup is simple - I use a large scoop and everything goes into a 40 gallon trash can. I dump the can into the garden and till it in or dump it onto a compost pile and turn it. (If you don't know what to do with the poop when you clean your coop out, offer it to someone with a garden for FREE! It's one of the BEST free fertilizers you can get!)

It works great and I definitely recommend it!!!

I use the DLM in my tractor and I am a first time chicken owner. I have been so happy with this method and am shocked at how easy it is! I use straw, then add pine shavings and sprinkle a little DE and mix it up and I did that in June. I will put on a glove and remove any large areas of droppings that bother me and then add some more of their bedding. I throw some cracked corn or bread in the coop to get the girls to stir it up for me, but the idea of only cleaning out the coop 1-2 times a year was just the thing I needed!

Quote:
thank you for your post, I appreciate it. I am starting the DLM as of today. Usually I would just clean out the coop
and put a new bale of shavings in. But instead I am just going to add the shavings and let the chickens do the work.
I am exciting to start this method. If you read the OP on this thread you can see the routine I was doing.
I cannot believe that I did all that every month. Like some chicken owners I got just wore out. Thanks again
for your post, you have been very helpful.

Ok, instead of totally cleaning my coop I just put a new bale of pine shavings down.
I am going the DLM, hope it works out well.

I just want to say thank you again to everyone who has offered advice and suggestions
to help me better understand this method of coop maintenance.

Thanks Again BYCers are the best!!!!
clap.gif

The bacteria that are naturally present in the droppings of primary vegetarians like chickens will do all the composting work with no additives needed. Remember, these are the bacteria that are normally in the chickens digestive tract already. Keeping the moisture level right is the trick, if the litter seems too moist scoop some of the wet stuff out and add some dry shavings; if too dry just wait a while, it will get moister from the droppings. Giving it a little stir every week or so helps too.

My coop has a plywood floor, but when I built it I bought a scrap piece of vinyl flooring and glued that down. Cleans up like a dream and protects the wood.

Went by Tractor Supply tonight. They had small bags (2500 cu in) for about $9 of pine shavings. They also had bigger bags of Aspen shavings.

How big of a bag am I going to need to get started with a coop which is 6 X 12? Then how much should I keep on hand? Any ideas where to get it in larger quantities?

Last edited:
I'm wondering if I really need to put down vinyl or not. Will just paint be enough for a wood floor with deep litter?

Are there any special considerations for deep litter in cold climates?

Thanks

I use the DLM and just cleaned out my coop earlier this month. My coop is 8x8' with wood flooring. This time I spread one and a half bags of sand on the floor first then covered it with 6" of shavings sprinkled with DE. So far I am very pleased. Chickens love scratching and rolling around in it, even tho they have sand in the outside run too, and it keeps fresh poo from sticking to the wood floor.

I like the vinyl because it protects the underlying wood from moisture, and is very easy to clean up. Anything to make cleaning easier is a big plus!

Someone asked about kitty litter - Since this is just clay, if it gets into the bedding it will hold moisture, compact into nasty balls of hard stuff, and will not compost. Also wonder if it would cause the chickens health problems if they eat too much of it. How about just using wood shavings?

Back
Top Bottom