For those who take their birds to processors- quick question

It is nice to find someone close! We have 20 layers and 1 rooster too, along with horses, dogs, and children! I am getting some bantams this spring, and the meat birds in the same order with them.

I had some losses this summer and a few went into the freezer but at the moment I have 5 layers and a roo. As well as a bunch of babies. As soon as I know the sex of my runner ducks I will probably sell as many as 4 since 8 may be too many for me to keep. I wish I was up by you! It would be so much easier then.... Down here I am a chicken outlaw lol

Quote:
I am right on the Westchester/Putnam border. While our home is about 1 hour north of NYC, the processing places are further south. There is a live poultry market in Yonkers (sounded a bit shady though) for $3 a bird, or one in Tarrytown for $2 a bird. The Tarrytown place was very nice on the phone. Maybe you would be interested in processing mine for me instead??? Where in Westchester are you? It's nice to meet another chicken person close to home! This will be our first batch of meat birds, and I'm probably going to start with only about 10 or so.

ANd I have another dumb question if someone could answer... If you're raising cornish x and one dies on it's own, is it still OK to dress and eat it or is it just garbage? Thanks!

wee.gif
Finally someone close to me!!!!!!!

I am in New Rochelle. I cant believe there is a place in Yonkers!!! I dont think I would use them but I might have to drive over just to see!. Tarrytown makes a lot more sence since having chikens is legal there... This year SO and I processed a deer and I have done a few chickens with a friend of mines mother, but this year I plan on doing 15 this spring myself and then probably another 15 at the end of the summer. I just got my cones from a fellow BYC member and I am set to go. lol

Oh I would not eat the bird that died on its own, it may have been sick.

I got to ask you both,whats up with yonkers that you guys shy away from?I have never been there but always wanted to go for the harness racing.Is it a rough place ? Will

I don't travel to Yonkers much. It is a rough place, in parts. The racetrack is nice though. Depending on the area, it can range from low-income families trying to scrap enough to get by to very beautiful houses. Just like any other city. I just don't like crowded cities. I'm much happier in my house in the woods.

They generally do them while you wait, so they would have to be very devious in order to meat swap. But, why go through the effort on birds they're only getting $2/each for? Their goal is to get finished as quickly as possible. No one is maknig a living processing birds, it's more a labor of love.

I pay closer to $5 per bird, excluding mileage and gas. That's a good deal.

One more thing, I raise the colored range broilers, some of which have blakc plumage in parts of them. You can tell by the carcass that they are mine, rather htan pure white cornish X's.

As far as speed with the processing places, I thought you were supposed to wait until the animal went through the rigamortis (sp?) stage before finishing the processing. Doesn't that effect the flavor of the meat?
idunno.gif

You should 'age' the bird in the fridge before freezing, I think that's what they're trying to say.

After killing the chicken, it needs to get down to 38F ASAP. So, no, you wouldn't wait for rigormortis to end before eviscerating it.

Quote:
wee.gif
Finally someone close to me!!!!!!!

I am in New Rochelle. I cant believe there is a place in Yonkers!!! I dont think I would use them but I might have to drive over just to see!. Tarrytown makes a lot more sence since having chikens is legal there... This year SO and I processed a deer and I have done a few chickens with a friend of mines mother, but this year I plan on doing 15 this spring myself and then probably another 15 at the end of the summer. I just got my cones from a fellow BYC member and I am set to go. lol

Oh I would not eat the bird that died on its own, it may have been sick.

I got to ask you both,whats up with yonkers that you guys shy away from?I have never been there but always wanted to go for the harness racing.Is it a rough place ? Will

Yonkers raceway is very cool
smile.png
that being said...

The Yonkers thing.... well its like having a processor in Queens or the Bronx, there is no farm land to speak of and it is illegal and I would think many of the birds would be coming from bad situations either that or people buying at the meat markets and culling for holiday type events. I have heard bad things about the conditions of the birds coming from the venders in the cities and have known people who have bought them and lost their entire flock from diseases. Yonkers is a huge city and has some very high end areas that are just beautiful but I have a feeling this place is probably no where near there and having worked in Yonkers I can safely say I don't want to return to those areas
smile.png
Plus the parking is HORRIBLE
big_smile.png

Quote:
Could you tell me where you go? I am in Southwestern PA and have not found anyone yet, just about to post a new thread asking if anyone knows of anybody near me. Pittsburgh area.

Thanks!

Quote:
Could you tell me where you go? I am in Southwestern PA and have not found anyone yet, just about to post a new thread asking if anyone knows of anybody near me. Pittsburgh area.

Thanks!

I think tuskajones is out your way,pm her, she may be able to point you in the right direction.They are nice we use to pm each other. Will

Back
Top Bottom