for those who use heated dog bowls

dftkarin

Songster
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
I have seen pictures of people plunking their 1 gallon plastic waterers inside the bowl of the heated dog bowl and I wonder if that really works? Does the hated bowl need water in it to be safe? Does the poultry waterer bottom sit inside of water that is in the bowl? How does thos work? Any shared experience would be very appreciated!
(only have 4 chickens and those 3 gallon heated waterers are expensive and so much bigger than I need)

That's a really good question. My heated dog bowl is 1.5 gallons so not much of an advantage in doing that for me, except it might be easier to replace the water and to clean up. Hm. Food for thought. Not sure if the plastic in the standard 1 gal waterer is supposed to be used with heat, I hope some folks chime in and let us know how it's working.

And if you have a small flock and can find one, the heated dog bowl is a godsend. It has a cord protected with wire. We ran the cord through a beam to an outlet, secured it with electrical crampons and when it's warm enough I leave it unplugged. To clean it you tip out into a catch bucket, wipe down and refill.

I'll plug it in tonight because it's going to be very cold and we've just received our 5th snowstorm, which should end tonight. After a storm it's good to know the water will be liquid because after morning chores we'll be shoveling out and using the snowblower. It's been so difficult for those of you in Washington state and other parts like the Canadian west coast, I know you're not used to coping with these extremes and that it's twice as difficult to manage.

My hens like the open bowl, they play with the water and seem to drink more than with their plastic 1 gal waterer.

I tried to get one of these at our hardware store and co-op but they were sold out, so I found it at a pet store.

I also have a heated base that holds a 3 gal poultry waterer. I found it tricky in the coop because of spillage during changeover and moved it to the main floor of our barn for the feral cats. Works great for them, it's perfectly level and there's a drain and outlet near them.

Last edited:
I put a 3 gal bucket in the heated bowl for my geese, it works as long as its not downright cold, then if that happens, I only fill halfway and refill twice a day for six geese. No problems other than when its really cold.

I have a 2 gallon galvanized double walled waterer and I just purchased a 1.5 gallon heated dog bowl to prevent the freezing issue. I just set the 2 gallon waterer inside the bowl and while it doesnt set all the way down inside of it, it sets down in it enough to sit securely and prevents the water in the outer rim from freezing.

Each of my pens has a 1 gallon heated dog water dish and my chickens don't seem to have any problems w/ it. I fill it once a day and clean it out every other day. This is my 2nd winter using them.

I use a heated dog bowl for my peafowl with no issues, I use heat lamps right now for my plastic 1 gallon chicken waterer they are ok i guess. I am going to make a home made heater out of a 40 watt bulb and a christmas cookie tine that someone suggested.

Why not use the dog bowl as intended? Just put the water in the bowl. Why put another waterer in it? Am I maybe mis-understanding?

I have used the 1.5 gallon heated dog bowls for many years. I fill up the bowl when needed, and wipe out when dirty. I put my plastic waterers away for the winter.

I am using those galvanized poultry waterer heater bases, the kind you just place under your metal double walled fountains, and plug them in, they keep the water above freezing, working great so far and easy peezy cheezy.

AL

Quote:
I do use the heated dogbowl for my peafowl and no issues at all. I am just too cheap to spend 20$ more for the 3 pullets I have being I have 2 heat lamps that work alright.

I dont use just the dog bowl because the way my set up is the cord is ran high and locked onto the fencing - to prevent it from being on the ground. Also - I dont like having the girls get dirt all in it and they jump into the bowl all the time
hmm.png
. With the galvanized waterer sitting IN the heated bowl - it makes it easier just to pick it up, wash it out, and set it back down; the girls cant get on top of it and dont get anything in it.

just a preference thing...

Back
Top Bottom