for whoever says chickens aren't smart.....

da-cajun-angla

Songster
12 Years
Jan 22, 2008
laplace,la
my kid had soccer practie 2day till 6:30pm...so when we got home, it was getting dark and all the chickens were on their roosts...i grabbed a cupful of scratch, did the signature call for when i have food, and my three youngest girls came out. i opened the coop and all three came out to see what i had for them. when they saw it was only scratch, the 2 black sexlinks went back in, but the prod. red(redbone) stayed out and was following me around...more than usual. i went back inside for about 5 min and went back outside, she was by the screen door waiting for me. when i was walking to the coop, she ran inside the run and up the ladder into the coop, stayed there for about 10sec and then came back out and started pecking at my feet(which she has never done b4) i thought it was kinda odd but whatever...ya know?...i walked around the side and back of the coop and closed the 2 windows so the "skeetos" wont get them and when i came back around, there she is again. she pecked at my feet, ran inside the coop, waited 5-10sec, came back out again and pecked at my feet. i said to myself,, "maybe the waterer is dry..but no way she is tryin to get me 2 get her some water... sure enough, no water! i grabbed the waterer, and shes right behind me on the way to the faucet...pecking at the hose while i try to fill the waterer...i got it full and on my way to the coop she's right behind me, flies in through the door of the coop, startles me, and i drop the waterer that breaks apart and spews water everywhere!...oh $h!t...i grabbed the waterer again, back to the hose with her behind me peckin at my feet more, filled it up, on my way back, almost to the door, she is madly pecking at my feet(as i mention b4, this has NEVER happened!)i almost dropped the water again. while im hooking the waterer on the chain shes flying in the door of the coop (again)...point of the story being...i knew my girls were smart, but her basically screaming at me to get her water is awesome! never thought i would see a chicken act like a dog when they r out of food or water. they...maybe not all...but they r smart animals!
thanxxx for reading,
shaun

Do you believe that when I was refinishing my deck, putting on the wood preservative, Chickie came up the deck stairs to see me and what I was doing.....I simply said, "No Chickie, this not good for Chickie" and she turned around, hopping back down the stairs to the back yard. I dont know about all chickens, but I do know my Chickie understands me.

i just cant believe she did that...y r chickens the only animal in the us that have no regualtions on how u treat them????horrible...i wish the people that passed that owned chickens.
shaun

We are amazed every day by what our chickdren do. Spend some quality time with them and you too will be amazed. They are not dumb animals. You may get one that is not the brightest bulb in the box, but isn't that also true with humans?

Back
Top Bottom