Foraging And Feed Effeciency Comparing Breeds

George, in a nut shell, ( count resist lol ) my 2 boys would love an excuse to bash acorns with a hammer. So I have the labor there to do it. My remaining concern is the effect on the gut microbes-- any thought on where to find such info??

George, in a nut shell, ( count resist lol ) my 2 boys would love an excuse to bash acorns with a hammer. So I have the labor there to do it. My remaining concern is the effect on the gut microbes-- any thought on where to find such info??
Haven't fed acorns myself. Read about it in a British WW II era book about feeding rabbits and poultry on scraps (during rationing--almost no feed grain available). Also recently saw discussion on chicken forum of permies.com about folks actually using acorns for large part of chicken diet and reporting results. Don't know if that would help or if you're looking for a scientific report on the gut microbes.

In limited qty. it will not hurt them. If you feel inclined to go through the trouble, and you used it as a supplement, they would be fine.

We don't know what to do with all these walnuts

My dad has four big black walnut trees he planted when I was little. He gets tons of nuts now. He eats them, some people love them, I think they taste funny. It takes a special nut cracker to get them open, he uses his bench vise. I do love Hickory nuts though.

Quote:
FUnny as in odd? Or funny as in your mouth starts to tingle??

I had heard a vise is necessary for many of the wild type nuts. Years of breeding for easier cracking on the commercial types. I'm no expert, just read a little. WHen I was thi nking of planting nut trees.

Back
Top Bottom