Foraging question

seussiii

Chirping
Jan 26, 2017
I've read that quite a few of you have your ducks living completely off of forage during the non winter months.

My Anconas are a month old and don't seem to be transitioning well. I feed them the grain based diet twice a day but they still seem very hungry by dinner.

One thing I've noticed is while free ranging they dig around in the soil but don't seem to eat the weeds... if I pick a weed... they'll perk up and fight over eating it from my hand! Even though they have the same weeds at their feet. They go insane for minced lettuce too.

Is this an age thing? I could tell they were waiting for me to put out the grain. Just wondering if they'll grow out of it or if anyone has experienced the same?

I have almost a full acre for just 6 of them so hopefully they take to foraging a bit more.

I keep enough feed out and free feed all my Birds.....I never let food or water run out.....They love to forage and do go back to the run during the day to eat.....:)

Same here. We've occasionally had wild birds get caught in the duck pen (everything wants that yummy duck feed!) so when the ducks are destroying the garden - FORAGING I mean foraging we have to keep their pen closed up. So I just keep on an eye on them and when they want some feed, they start hanging out by the pen door to be let in.

I always have free choice feed, water, grit, and oyster shell available during the daytime. And if one of the ducks isn't feeling top-notch, then I leave feed and a small waterer with Nutri-Drench and unpasteurized apple cider vinegar in their house too.

Back
Top Bottom