Forced to move, totally screwed!

Chris-n-Kate

Songster
Mar 13, 2019
I rent. When I moved here the landlord knew I wanted to raise ducks and chickens, she said I could even use the coop that was here if I fixed it. It was hoarded to the ceiling with trash and took me six months of work to clean. She knew I planned to stay here about 5 years while I save for a down payment on my own farm someday. December rent pay went normal she asked how my animals were as usual and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. January rent time she said she sold the house to her son but rent wouldn’t go up and no need to move but I would be paying him the rent starting February. Come February he said he’s planning to move in April and hopefully I can find somewhere else to live by then. I looked there’s no places for rent in the country and the few towns I know allow them rent is like 1000 a month or more! (Currently paying 320 a month)
I’m screwed, so screwed! I have so many chickens and no idea what to do with them. Even going to the Saturday auctions would mean catching and transporting and the only cage i have I might be able to cram 6to8 of them at a time but most of them fly when I try to catch them. Some of them fly well enough I see them on the damn roof of the house regularly and in the tops of the trees. I know I will probably receive some harsh criticism along with hopefully helpful advice and am prepared for that.

I rent. When I moved here the landlord knew I wanted to raise ducks and chickens, she said I could even use the coop that was here if I fixed it. It was hoarded to the ceiling with trash and took me six months of work to clean. She knew I planned to stay here about 5 years while I save for a down payment on my own farm someday. December rent pay went normal she asked how my animals were as usual and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. January rent time she said she sold the house to her son but rent wouldn’t go up and no need to move but I would be paying him the rent starting February. Come February he said he’s planning to move in April and hopefully I can find somewhere else to live by then. I looked there’s no places for rent in the country and the few towns I know allow them rent is like 1000 a month or more! (Currently paying 320 a month)
I’m screwed, so screwed! I have so many chickens and no idea what to do with them. Even going to the Saturday auctions would mean catching and transporting and the only cage i have I might be able to cram 6to8 of them at a time but most of them fly when I try to catch them. Some of them fly well enough I see them on the damn roof of the house regularly and in the tops of the trees. I know I will probably receive some harsh criticism along with hopefully helpful advice and am prepared for that.
I feel bad for you that you are in this situation. Believe it or not, renting is bad for the landlord just as often as it is for the tenant. I know.

Can you post an ad in Craigslist stating what birds you have for sale along with pictures? Lots of people are looking to add pullets/hens to their flocks or to just start a flock of their own. You may find it easier for the buyers to come to you vs. you going to the buyers. And have them come after the birds have gone to roost. That way you can just pluck them off the roost and not chase them all over the place.

On the rental front, have you looked for anyone offering a rent-to-own option? In that type of situation the money that you are saving up to purchase is added on to the rent payment and goes to the landlord to be applied to your down payment. The catch is, if you change your mind about buying the house, you won't get any of the extra rent money back that you paid towards the down payment. It's basically kept by the landlord as a good faith down payment which is not refundable if you fail to fulfill the terms of the contract to purchase.

Sometimes the landlord is also willing to finance your mortgage.

Good luck finding homes for all your birds as well as yourself. They've given you 2 months so that's very reasonable.

We live in iowa. I have looked at if there’s any rent to own, but there’s almost nothing rural except a few that are outrageously large and expensive. I know Des Moines and Ames allow poultry pets but nothing there I can afford. Craigslist was something I hadn’t thought of, I don’t know the breed of the majority of the chickens as last year I brought home 2 bins of “assorted rare” I got on a bulk discount because they didn’t sell, would it be appropriate to just call them assorted colored egg layers?

We live in iowa. I have looked at if there’s any rent to own, but there’s almost nothing rural except a few that are outrageously large and expensive. I know Des Moines and Ames allow poultry pets but nothing there I can afford. Craigslist was something I hadn’t thought of, I don’t know the breed of the majority of the chickens as last year I brought home 2 bins of “assorted rare” I got on a bulk discount because they didn’t sell, would it be appropriate to just call them assorted colored egg layers?
You could list them that way or you can post pictures of the birds you want identified and post them here to the Breed and Gender forum and we'll tell you the breeds you have.

If you purchased assorted rare breeds, you may get more money for specific birds than your "average" chicken. And the fact that they are still young means that they are worth more.

I second what DobieLover said about catching the birds.
Whenever I need to separate or transport a bird I'll go in the coop/roosting area at night with a flashlight, grab said bird(s) and put them in a pet crate with bedding. I have the plastic solid sided crates and mine are large enough to fit 4 chickens at a time. Larger birds, like turkeys get a bigger crate to themselves. Then I put the crate in a safe place for the night and give food and water first thing in the morning.
When it's time to go/travel/move/visit the vets.....everyone is ready to go.

For optimism- Some years ago a friend of a friend of a friend had a flock and needed to move and could not take them. Word got to me, we went to look, and I adopted the entire flock.
I think if you can get word out they could find a home. I know here if someone lists a flock or birds needing a home on Crag's List, regardless of breed or mix, they move fast!

I feel bad for you that you are in this situation. Believe it or not, renting is bad for the landlord just as often as it is for the tenant. I know.

Can you post an ad in Craigslist stating what birds you have for sale along with pictures? Lots of people are looking to add pullets/hens to their flocks or to just start a flock of their own. You may find it easier for the buyers to come to you vs. you going to the buyers. And have them come after the birds have gone to roost. That way you can just pluck them off the roost and not chase them all over the place.

On the rental front, have you looked for anyone offering a rent-to-own option? In that type of situation the money that you are saving up to purchase is added on to the rent payment and goes to the landlord to be applied to your down payment. The catch is, if you change your mind about buying the house, you won't get any of the extra rent money back that you paid towards the down payment. It's basically kept by the landlord as a good faith down payment which is not refundable if you fail to fulfill the terms of the contract to purchase.

Sometimes the landlord is also willing to finance your mortgage.

Good luck finding homes for all your birds as well as yourself. They've given you 2 months so that's very reasonable.
I am so sorry about your situation!! I can adopt a bunch of ladies!!!!

Where the heck do you find rent at only $320 a month and even have enough property to raise chickens?!! For $320 here you can't even rent a porta-potty to live in, let alone a house.

Back
Top Bottom