forcing a hen to go broody?

daddy_roo

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 6, 2011
Kentucky
I was given almost 50 eggs to go with the 13 I already had for hatching. I filled my incubator up with 42 total eggs and have 14 left. Would it be possible to put them in a nest box and almost force a hen to go brood? Or will this cause other problems? I live in Western KY, have Black Sex Link hens that average about 3-4 years in age.

You can't force a hen to go broody. She has to do it herself... Otherwise she will quit, sure as the world.

You could try putting the eggs in the nesting box with fresh hair and everything... It MIGHT seem pleasing to a hen. But no one can tell...
hu.gif

By putting them in your incubator on top of one another, I know some have done this on here, I haven't, mainly because I use a turner and second because anything over 12 is more then I can handle.

it is currently 74 deg outside under partly cloudy skys. Highs have been reaching 75-80 of a day and dipping to maybe mid 50's at night.

That night temperature is pushing it for too cold for a hen to go broody... Some will though, but it is far less likely...

ETA: You could still stack, but you would have to turn the eggs 2-3 times daily that are on top...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom