Forecast is -18 deg ... coop is not heated ... too cold 4 my biddies?

Someone on another thread suggested filling a large container with super hot water ... she said that it was cold in the morning but not frozen. Kind of like a campfire for the chickies! No electricity needed, no fire hazards, etc. Just a thought.

My coop is too big for a heat lamp to work, unless I put it right over their roost. I don't think I'm going to do that ... I think if I do anything, I'll try the large container of hot water. They don't normally sleep on the ground but if they're cold, they'll have the option.

Brrrrr ... dreaming of spring ... or at least a nice January Thaw!!!

Quote:
I was only planning to use it tonight because it is forecasted to be our coldest-to-date night (-18 deg F). But we've had several -10 deg F nights already and all of the chickens did just fine. I don't want them to get dependent on having the heat lamp ...

Mine give off alot of heat. Even though it is below zero outside, inside my coop it has been 30+. No insulation or heat lamp just chickens and a 25watt heated dog bowl for the water.

had -27 this morning. They didn't like it, but all were alive, kicking and frisky to eat. When it warmed up to +8, they all stood in the sun and groomed and were more cheerful.

Yes, -27 is cold, too cold, but hardy breeds are essential. I use no heat either. In a barn, it would rather point-less anyhow.

Quote:
its been -35 to -45 here the last few days, my chickens are doing just fine. they have an in barn coop that is not heated, and its 11x12 i just make sure they get scratch before bedtime for extra energy.

Quote:
its been -35 to -45 here the last few days, my chickens are doing just fine. they have an in barn coop that is not heated, and its 11x12 i just make sure they get scratch before bedtime for extra energy.

Thank you -- very reassuring! (Wow ... -40 degrees!!!!
ep.gif
)

Quote:

Thank you -- very reassuring! (Wow ... -40 degrees!!!!
ep.gif
)

as I have learned from here the secret is to allow humidity to escape and to provide a draft free coop. today during the day it was -27 with a windchill of -36 and my chickens went out in their run, which is tarped to avoid drafts. I can't wait for spring to take those tarps off.

Back
Top Bottom