Forest Fire Smoke

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gmachicken, Jul 31, 2013.

1. gmachicken

gmachicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    Grants Pass, OR
    Just curious, not that I can do much, We have major fires in our area and High levels of smoke in our area. So Oregon fires.
    Is there anything I should be looking for in regards to my hens? They all seem fine at this point, especially since the granddaughter has left. LOL. The weather folks seem to think the smoke will be a problem for several more days, or longer.

Thank you for your response.

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Don't worry unless it's strong enough to make them cough. Mine got exposed to my landlord's toxic building materials fire, which he lit on a high fire warning day, windy and dry as anything --- the perfect day to accidentally start a wildfire --- but they're fine. Of course if I find tumors or lung cancer later I'll suspect that had something to do with it...

If in doubt, raw garlic helps get the lungs to shift mucus and toxins. Best wishes and I hope the fire stays away.

3. gmachicken

gmachicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    Grants Pass, OR
    Thank you,
    How does one give garlic? whole, crushed mixed with feed? How much for 16 hens.
    Just in case I need it.

4. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Some folks just crush it whole, peel mixed in. I give an average of one clove of garlic per chook. Best mixed with their feed as they get used to it if it's novel to them; I mix it to stop greedy ones taking other's shares, lol! Minced or crushed is fine but if cooked or left to sit some qualities dissipate a bit.

I hate it when the whole landscape is smoke covered, it can be nerve wracking. Best wishes to you and yours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by