Forest Hill's Pheasants

These may be stupid questions, but seeing as I obtained a ring necked pheasant by accident I thought I'd ask.....

"Bellatrix The Strange Chicken" is coming up on 5 weeks. When can I tell if she is a she and not a he? Also, Will she do OK by herself or do I need a companion? If I do need a friend for her, what other gamefowl would be good company? Right now she thinks she is a chicken and likes to hang with her sisters. This is just until I can build her aviary. Do girl pheasants only lay eggs when placed in the company of male pheasants? I live in Maine. Do I winterproof the aviary like the chicken coop? Any other helpful hints or tips would be most welcome!

littlemissjellyfish,

I wouldn't be the best to answer your questions as I have just started raising pheasants myself.
But a companion would never hurt, as far as sexing pheasant chicks I have noticed with my birds some of them their feather coloring has slowly started to show some changes and more colors are becoming evident, as well I have noticed 7 of my chicks that now have a great deal of red coloring in their face.

As for them laying eggs, with or without a roo... Can't say.... I know that mine are still laying but they have a stud of a Roo with them..lol
One thing I can tell you is that they fly and VERY well...lol the higher the avairy and fly way the better.

I live in Strathcona County, near hiway 21 and 14.

Last edited:
if they are 5 weeks old then most of the time you can tell by the facail skin males will have a bigger skin patch than hens also males will start to get spur bumps on their legs the best time to tell is when they are two and a half to 3 months old and the male will be alittle darker and be sarting to color out while the hen will be lighter and hens will lay regardless of a roo

jonny the 7 with more red on their face are males

hope this helps

That is what I figured...

The 7 I mentioned are getting their colors already, some of their feathers are beginning turn iridescent.
You are right they are indeed males.
I have to start to split everyone up soon, as I have no time this week to fishing off their Flyway, as they are begining to start to peck each other's backs.

Back
Top Bottom