forgot to add water the first three days to my incubator Hovabator

sheepgal

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 3, 2008
Lexington Indiana
I did not remember to add ANY water the first three days to my incubator. Then on day three remembered. I ran in and filled all compartments with water. The Hovabator fails to instruct owners on how much water to use.
Is it too late? I am not sure if I need to throw out all of these eggs and try again ...or wait it out. I don't want to waste vauable time on something that is never going to hatch. Fall is too close.
Anyone have advise??

Nope, you're fine... just leave them.
smile.png

REALLY!!! I hope your right. I did have one of my frizzle eggs go bad...however we are thinking it might have had a tiny crack to begin with OR we cooked it in the heat with no water.
How much water should I have in there?

You don't need a lot... do you have a thermometer/hygrometer for reading temps/humidity? For an ideal hatch, 45-50% humidity for the first 18 days, then bump it to 65-75% for the last 3 days.

okay, this morning my incubator smells bad again.
I can't see a bad egg....BUT I smell one!! I really hope that some of these eggs hatch .

I know most like to candle the eggs every few days, I don't. I normally only candle twice, just before the eggs go in the bator and on day 18. This way I can see any cracked eggs before they go in the bator and any eggs that didn't make it. In your case I would candle the eggs to see if you can find the bad one. Other than that the eggs should be fine. If your eggs only went three days without water there should be NO problem at all. When a hen first goes broody she doesn't sit on the eggs all the time, she waits until she has all she can handle then only comes off to drink, eat and poop. In a few days you will see the results of waiting.

It shouldn't hurt them to do a sniff test on each one. If it smells really bad in there, then I would do that. Well, if you have a strong stomach.
tongue.png
You don't want the one bad one to contaminate the rest of the eggs. Just gently pull out each one, give it a sniff... you'll know which one's bad.
smile.png

Doesn't hurt them to cool off a little either.

Then on day three remembered. I ran in and filled all compartments with water. The Hovabator fails to instruct owners on how much water to use.

You filled all the water reservoirs? That will kill your hatch. I've gotten my hovabator up past 85% filling all the water tray and it will drown chicks at that point. You were better off with it dry. The hovabator instructions say exactly to fill the middle section (I think it's A) until day 18 and then fill the outside section (B or C) for the last few days before hatching. Then it has 2 small backup section on the sides mostly for water fowl or if your in a really dry climate. Filling the middle section keeps mine around 50-55% humidity with the vent plugs in and 40-45% with them out. I've been running with them out this hatch.​

No I did not fill every area...just the center. I meant it branches out.
I took the eggs out to the deck and smelled each one. Yuk!! Found it. This one was not cracked like the last one.
I ordered these eggs on e bay. 4 of them were broken to pieces when I got them. and now I have managed to ruin 2.. What a waste of money.

Back
Top Bottom