Forgot to take 1 out of the incubator

Quote:
I was wondering if the weight of the egg increases in an egg as the chick develops. Is that why you weigh? To measure development? Does it slow down things to bring them out of the incubator evey day to weigh them? I was planning on weighing on day one, and day 17 with my second batch...

lau.gif

I have often wondered why everyone obsesses over hatching. Chickens are out in a lot of mess, cold feet and do not worry so. I decided to be more like the chicken and now have better hatches.
jumpy.gif

Quote:
I was wondering if the weight of the egg increases in an egg as the chick develops. Is that why you weigh? To measure development? Does it slow down things to bring them out of the incubator evey day to weigh them? I was planning on weighing on day one, and day 17 with my second batch...

Actually, to my surprise, the weight of the egg decreases because the liquid in the egg is evaporating. The sticky at the top of the Index has more information about this.

Glad I'm not the only one to do this! I had completed a hatch, but the HovaBator was still running, and low and behold I had left one egg in there. My one and only Jersey Giant to hatch from a shipment of eggs.

Just a few days ago I opened up my cabinet incubator to move eggs into the hatcher. I was a bit startled and thought I saw a mouse. It was a grey (blue) silkie chick that had hatched. I had forgotten that I put a few eggs from a broody in there, and obviously forgot to transfer them to the hatcher.

I just had another egg hatch in the incubator that I didnt get moved to the hatcher. The humidity has been running 35% and the turner was on. The chick is fine.

Back
Top Bottom