Former metal trashcan hauling cart into mommy hen palace- mini tractor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by luvarabhorses, Jan 26, 2009.

1. luvarabhorses

luvarabhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Hector, Ar
    This is my first attempt to load pictures. My florange and I rescued this rusted trashcan cart from the roadside garbage and converted it into a place for two Mommy hens to set on eggs in privacy and security. Once the eggs hatch the families will be able to come and go into a small screened in yard (made from discard wooden window screens). It is a mini tractor since it is easily moved around. This turned out to be a lot more effort than I thought but we are pleased with the outcome- the Chariot of Fire.
    Repairing the rusty chassis
    [​IMG]

beginning
    [​IMG]

the finished coop!
    [​IMG]jan_24_013.jpg[/img]
    [​IMG]

the cost was zero. I'll provide the complete pictures , plans and details to anyone interested for $5. It was more work than I anticipated but it's pretty awesome.
    Luv

2. luvarabhorses

Oct 1, 2008
    Hector, Ar
    I couldn't get one pic to load, and here is another:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Very innovative!! It's so cool you can turn just about anything into a great coop if willing to put in the work. Yours looks great!

4. luvarabhorses

Oct 1, 2008
    Hector, Ar
    Thanks for noticing and commenting. I have learned so much about carpentry and building the past two years following my divorce. I am working on a new one out of an old metal spreader for my bobwhites. There are only six of them and their needs are much less.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by