Formex Coop question.

Ryguy3684

Here comes the Rooster
Premium Feather Member
May 29, 2020
Fauquier County, Virginia, United States.
I received my Formex large chicken coop today. It says it's for up to 8 birds, and I only have 6. They are buff orpingtons. I put it together and it seems a bit small, but I'm not experienced with chicken coop sizes. I've built an attached, covered run that's 4x8 and they will be free ranging in the back yard most of the time. Their food and water will be in the covered run, if that makes a difference. If anybody is familiar with this coop, do you think it's large enough for my birds? Thanks.

It says it's for up to 8 birds... it seems a bit small

Usual advice is 4 square feet of floor space per chicken, inside the coop.
It's common to figure that bantams need half as much space.
So of course many chicken coop manufacturers figure 2 square feet per bird (bantam) and list that number of chickens :)

" Three 36” roosts " if you look at the pic you'll see the coop itself(not including the nests) is only 3' x 3'. Roosts are small too(2" minimum is best).
Gonna be tight for 6 birds as is the 4x8 run.
Climate might help you out, and no predators to curb free range time.

Welcome to BYC! @Ryguy3684
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1591360216578.png

" Three 36” roosts " if you look at the pic you'll see the coop itself(not including the nests) is only 3' x 3'. Roosts are small too(2" minimum is best).
Gonna be tight for 6 birds as is the 4x8 run.
Climate might help you out, and no predators to curb free range time.

Welcome to BYC! @Ryguy3684
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2177852
Thanks, I did realize I didn't have my location listed. I'm in Virginia, United States, so the weather is warm most of the time. My fenced in yard is roughly 50 ft x 40 ft for them to roam. My dogs do a great job keeping any chicken predators out and have taken a liking to the birds. The roosting bars are 2" x 2".

Back
Top Bottom