Forum Stalker finally joins :)

nikkicoolmama

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 10, 2014
Central Illinois
Hi! This forum has been a great resource to me from before I got chickens and I thought I would finally join.

Last year I started gathering souls from my community who wanted to change the ordinance banning poultry in our small town in central Illinois. After much research, and a long paper to submit, I led a group to city hall and we convinced them to give us 6 hens (or ducks) each provided they were not a noise or smell nuisance. My 6 Easter Egger babies came via mail on Valentines Day 2014. SO CUTE!!
jumpy.gif

My hubby, 3 children and I raised them in the playroom with much cuddling and loving. They went outside to their new portable home that my hubby built when they were too big to stay inside any longer.

It has since been painted and has a yard attached which doubles their area.

One of my chickens got scissor beak and, sadly, had to be put down as she was unable to eat.
sad.png
So we are now a flock of 5.

RIP Firehead.

Last week I switched them to an organic layer feed from a local coop, and today I got our first little green egg!!

(the white egg is for comparison purposes)

My kids named the girls:
Midnight

Spirit

Red

Friend

Spot

Thanks for all the help you have been so far! I'm happy to be joining the chicken community.

~nikki

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Great that you were able to get your laws changed!! I am sorry about your cross beak. Many times they just can't live a proper life.

But the rest of your flock is adorable! I am glad you are enjoying them.

Great to have you aboard and I hope your flock continues to bring you great joy!

Welcome to BYC!! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Sorry about the cross beak! But I'm glad you are enjoying them! They are sure cute:)

Welcome to BYC! Easter Eggers are my granddaughter's favorite chickens. She loves the colored eggs and names the hens after Disney princesses. I don't know how the predator situation is in your area, but you might want to consider covering your run in hardware cloth. It will prevent predators from either tearing through it or passing through the openings in the mesh. It's a little extra expense, but cheaper than having to replace your flock. Good luck with your chickens.

We're in the middle of town, so I can't think of anything other than cats or the occasional loose dog that are going to try to get in there. We've been attacked by a lab and the coop held up fine. What is small enough to get in the fence openings and threaten the birds?

We're in the middle of town, so I can't think of anything other than cats or the occasional loose dog that are going to try to get in there. We've been attacked by a lab and the coop held up fine. What is small enough to get in the fence openings and threaten the birds?

A number of predators can pass through very small openings, even 1" inch chicken wire. These include weasels (they can wipe out an entire flock in a night), minks, snakes, and rats.

Back
Top Bottom