Fossils

Stacykins

Crowing
9 Years
Jan 19, 2011
Escanaba, MI
Anybody here know much about fossils? I like looking for them, but I am not a big collector. I passively looking for them. Michigan isn't known for fossils (other than petosky stones, which are fossils), but there are some.

These ones are actually on the property. When I noticed the first one, I just went and looked at some of the pieces of limestone-like rock that were already exposed. I am actually afraid to try removing the fossils. The nature of the rock is to cleave in uneven sheets. I'd probably damage it. So, I am leaving them where they rest. Does anyone have a guess at what they are, other than spiral shells? Someone I know suggested they were ammonites. But ammonites are apparently pretty rare finds in Michigan. So finding four within fifty yards of each other very easily, I dunno.

Hah, and yes, two of the photos feature goat hooves. I took the girls on a walk while I went out to take pictures of the fossils. My girl Suzie always wants to 'help'!

The one is BIG

I think JD may be spot on. I was looking at some fossil hunting websites, and some locations that are very close to me were rich in gastropods! It is still very cool to me, that they are there! Still afraid to remove them from the stones. An intact fossil out in nature is better than a broken one on a collection, methinks.

I agree that they are a very cool find. No opinion on what type of ancient mollusk might have inhabited them, though I agree with your choice to leave them in situ; some look to be so eroded I doubt you'd be able to get them out intact. I love the goat feet in the pictures, how very helpful of Suzie to demonstrate the size of them! Thanks for sharing this!

You need to send these photographs to a paleontologist and see what happens. How exciting!

Wow Stacykins... they're beautiful!! I love fossils and found a small one very simlar to those (though not as nice) on my roof top at work. Even my HVAC guy picks them up for me if he finds them... I have a couple boxes full. The shell I found... has spots!

Cool find! I've studied paleontology since I was a kid as a hobby. Based on what looks like limestone that they are in, my money says ammonites. Not all ammonites had ribbed shells, although most did, some were even straight! The present day chambered nautilus has a smooth shell and is a descendant of the ammonite clan.

But whatever they are, they're cool, and they're in your yard! At least you don't have to feed them, and they don't bite!
thumbsup.gif

~S

Back
Top Bottom