Foster Parenting

Boyd

Recipient of The Biff Twang
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
MI
I am curious if there are any other foster parents on the website. It's something I've been involved in my whole life. My parents took in their first kiddo when I was 6 or so, and 24-25 years later I do it too
tongue.png

I'm not rich nor famous, but helping these kids out is very rewarding to me. Anyone else on the boards here?? I love it when I get kids from the inner city who've never lived out in the country before. They either love it or hate it at first.

I was thinking about doing this...I have a large farm house with 2 open bedrooms..

BUT i was told by my local social service office that because my name is on file as having dealings with them that I could not get involved...

I called social services asking for help for my son when he was younger and had anger and aggression problems we found out later the reason for the aggression and anger but i am still a "tainted" person in their eyes

We are, but don't have any placements right now. Our first placement was a 6yo little girl recovering from cancer. She was very challenging, but rewarding, too. She soaked up affection like a sponge! They haven't needed us in the last few months, so we're just waiting!

That really shouldn't matter, at least in Michigan. Here we have to get our background checked, and dealing with PS is pretty common. It's not unusual for the kids biological parents to call PS on me, to try to make it harder for us.

We fostered special needs infants for a long, long time but there's no one who wants to adopt special needs babies if their parental rights get terminated and of course you come to love them so we ended up adopting five. Now we can't afford to foster anymore but I really miss it.

Actually thats why I only take teenagers
sad.png

You get WAY too attached to the little ones. One day POOOF, their parents pull together and can get their kids back. Since I'm doing 14+ age wise, I always have a full house.

I too grew up in a family that did foster parenting when I was young. I also have 2 adopted siblings...one thru foster care. As an adult my husband and I decided to foster with the intention to adopt (having no luck with bio children at the time). Our first kids were placed with us in the summer of 2003 (4yr old girl & 10mo old boy with down syndrome) and by the following summer in 2004 we adopted them. I wouldn't mind doing more foster care but our house is now full (we finally had a biological child...she is now 2) so our focus now is on our family which definately keeps us busy. I've always thought fostering was wonderful (and challanging) and commend you for taking on teenagers (they are scary to me...lol). Our experience was all positive and we feel very blessed with our family which wouldn't have been possible without the foster care system.

Quote:
What a crock. Available, loving, giving, and you are 'tainted'.
hugs.gif
For all the kids that need fostering, this is terrible. We know you aren't tainted, even if you have evil silkie syndrome.....
big_smile.png

So glad it worked out with your son.

Cheri

I want to someday when the kid(s) are older. For now I want to enjoy his childhood just by himself. I would love to adopt as well.

ETA: Typed wrong word lol.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom