Fostering a Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by StephMagee, Feb 17, 2015.

1. StephMagee

StephMagee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2014
    Bradford,Pa
    We have a duck pond in town where someone takes care of all the ducks and its a popular place in the summer. The owner is looking for someone to take in his last duck until spring because the pond is frozen. I was wandering if I took him, how would it go? I already have a male and a female. My male is very protective of the female and they are really close, they are inseparable. They have never been around other ducks. My concerns are, the males fighting to be the dominate male, how the mating would go with 2 males and a female(would they fight over her and become overly rough with her. My male now is really rough at times). Just everything that could happen. So would me taking this male duck in for a couple months be a good idea or not?

2. poult

poult Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Cabin In The Woods
    Bad idea.If you take him in seperate him for at least two weeks in case of diseases & sickness keep an eye on breathing,eating,drinking,etc.make sure it's healthy breathing and a normal amount of food and water.Check him and make sure he had no external parasites lice,mites,etc.After the two weeks you won't be able to leave both males with the one female they will shred her back feathers quickly from to many drakes mating with her.And I doubt the two boys will get along so the new duck will have to be penned separately by himself.Overall I think that is a bad idea.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  3. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Your heart is in the right spot but I don't know if this would be a good idea unless you are taking in a new flock and have to room that they won't mix with yours. I would keep him quarantined because he is coming in from the wild and can carry diseases that you don't want to pass onto your flock. Then you have the problem of 2 males to 1 female which is a not good at all. She can be over mated by just one male to 2 would be too much. It sounds like you have a great heart and want to help but it doesn't sound like your situation would be good. Any chance you can take in 2 ducks and not mix them with your flock?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by