Foul Eggs

AndyStaceyM

Hatching
Jun 6, 2022
Good afternoon,
We have a Rhode Island Red laying foul smelling eggs. About four months ago, she had a pendulous, impacted crop. Surgery was performed to relieve the impaction and she recovered fine. She now has a bit of a distended crop but is it compliant and she seems to be thriving. However, we have noticed several bad eggs in the last three months. We isolated her and collected an egg and sure enough it is her. Typical sulfur smell. The extension agent suggested sacrificing her and getting a post-mortem with cultures to make sure its not a flock problem but I was hoping to find a way to treat her, realizing the concern with antibiotics and legality involved. Any suggestions or is she lost for production?

Is there a legality involved with antibiotics in the uk or perhaps Canada? Where are you?
If you're attached to her and she's fine other than that, I'd treat but it's understandable that it may be easier to cull her.

Is there a legality involved with antibiotics in the uk or perhaps Canada? Where are you?
If you're attached to her and she's fine other than that, I'd treat but it's understandable that it may be easier to cull her.
We are in Georgia, US. The legal concerns just revolve around withdrawals for consumption.

We are in Georgia, US. The legal concerns just revolve around withdrawals for consumption.
Then just keep her separated and discard her eggs during that period, if you can. It's not a big of deal unless you're not able to.
If she dose have reproductive infection, her laying days may be through

Back
Top Bottom