Foul pox, hens eyes are scabbed shut. How do i open?

Fraunie

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 8, 2012
Elfin Forest
I've had dry pox running through my flock, generally just mild cases. I do have one Black Copper Maran who seems to have it pretty bad. Both eyes are glued shut with heavy scabs. One I can clean easily and get open as long as I check on her 3 times a day. She then has a tiny bit of vision in the one eye. The other eye is completely scabbed over.

this morning I managed to create a little space to allow it to drain, and a LOT of fluid came out, it was thick but relatively clear. Maybe a touch of puss. I am trying to figure out the best way to open her eye to help clear the infection and allow her more vision. It is really hard to get her to eat and drink. I have been putting Vetricyn on it and gave her a shot of Pen -G yesterday.

Any ideas?

I have used a weak solution of peroxide and water with a cotton ball and then wiped her eyes with a weak solution of iodine

I've had dry pox running through my flock, generally just mild cases. I do have one Black Copper Maran who seems to have it pretty bad. Both eyes are glued shut with heavy scabs. One I can clean easily and get open as long as I check on her 3 times a day. She then has a tiny bit of vision in the one eye. The other eye is completely scabbed over.

this morning I managed to create a little space to allow it to drain, and a LOT of fluid came out, it was thick but relatively clear. Maybe a touch of puss. I am trying to figure out the best way to open her eye to help clear the infection and allow her more vision. It is really hard to get her to eat and drink. I have been putting Vetricyn on it and gave her a shot of Pen -G yesterday.

Any ideas?

I would continue to use Vetericyn eye wash or eye gel, but you will need to really work to get any gunk or puss out of the eyes and flush them with saline or Vetericyn eye wash. Warm wet compresses may help to soften the crusted eyes. You may need cotton, QTips, or a tweezers to get the gunk out. I wouldn't use peroxide or betadine near the eyes.

Back
Top Bottom