Found 3 wk old chick on ground not moving and peeping loudly. Head keeps tilting back

Marciamartin

Hatching
Jun 8, 2022
I found a small, possibly around 3 week old chick in my neighbor's yard. It was laying in the shade, not moving, peeping like crazy, and had one wing stuck strait out. I picked it up, and it's head keeps pulling back. One time, it's head pulled back, it's legs stuck strait out and it's wings went out and started flapping. Brought it in the house, I gave it a little water, and tried mashing up chick starter food in water. It seems to like the water, and my sister in law is bringing some vitamin e capsules over shortly, but I'm not sure if it will live that long. No pasty butt, and it won't open its eyes. I'm going to try sugar water now, but I don't know if it's too hot, too cold, or just gonna die regardless.

It should be kept at about 80 degrees for now, try a bit of egg yolk mixed in with sugar water for quick selenium, vitamin might take a week to work so hopefully egg can help it until then

It doesn't want anything. I keep trying to get water in it and sugar water, but I'm afraid I'm gonna drown it. 😢I'm holding it against my chest, and everytime I move it, it sticks it's legs straight out and it's wings, and it's head goes back.
It should be kept at about 80 degrees for now, try a bit of egg yolk mixed in with sugar water for quick selenium, vitamin might take a week to work so hopefully egg can help it until then
T

It doesn't want anything. I keep trying to get water in it and sugar water, but I'm afraid I'm gonna drown it. 😢I'm holding it against my chest, and everytime I move it, it sticks it's legs straight out and it's wings, and it's head goes back.

T
You might have to put it down if it's that bad, your body isn't enough to keep it all the way warm.

If you have a syringe, you might try prying its little beak open and getting the liquid in there. It's pretty amazing what a little hydration and calories can do. It's very easy to aspirate the little ones, but if you get the liquid on the side of the beak, a lot of times they'll take it. The vitamins are really important to help its neck.

I brought back a chick that was on death's door this way. And if you have a heating pad, I'd use that. It needs warmth, hydration, and nutrients. Worth a shot if it's dying, imo.

Back
Top Bottom