Found a baby chicken

Morgan Leigh

Chirping
Jun 4, 2020
Hi guys! Just joined this morning :)
This is not an emergency as such but a question. I was letting my flock out to free roam, heard a distress cry from the woods and found a aprox 4 week old chicken. After I caught it it was obvious (by the placement of the wounds and how old they were) that it had been snatched up, probably by a raven or owl a few days ago, and dropped. It's inside my house in my dog kennel doing great. I am a prior vet tech so the wounds were no big deal for me to handle and nothing was broken. But I did notice that the skin in some areas (around the face and neck mostly) was slightly yellow. Now this could be from fading bruising, and it obviously had been without food and water which might contribute, but I wondered if there are breeds that have mottled skin or if this was a sign of some chicken disease. I have it on baby chick feed and it is eating, drinking and pooping normally. I won't be introducing this little guy to my flock until it's obviously healthy, and I practice hand washing etc. so no worries about spreading anything. I thought maybe jaundice, or bruising. Any ideas? And any ideas on breed? Thanks ❤
20200604_105252.jpg

Gorgeous chick you have there🤩! If it’s eating and drinking fine then i wouldn’t worry too much, like you said it could just be bruising and depending on the age and breed it’s yellow face could turn pink then red if a pullet.

Hi guys! Just joined this morning :)
This is not an emergency as such but a question. I was letting my flock out to free roam, heard a distress cry from the woods and found a aprox 4 week old chicken. After I caught it it was obvious (by the placement of the wounds and how old they were) that it had been snatched up, probably by a raven or owl a few days ago, and dropped. It's inside my house in my dog kennel doing great. I am a prior vet tech so the wounds were no big deal for me to handle and nothing was broken. But I did notice that the skin in some areas (around the face and neck mostly) was slightly yellow. Now this could be from fading bruising, and it obviously had been without food and water which might contribute, but I wondered if there are breeds that have mottled skin or if this was a sign of some chicken disease. I have it on baby chick feed and it is eating, drinking and pooping normally. I won't be introducing this little guy to my flock until it's obviously healthy, and I practice hand washing etc. so no worries about spreading anything. I thought maybe jaundice, or bruising. Any ideas? And any ideas on breed? Thanks ❤View attachment 2176642
Hello my peeps! Here's an update on the found chick and a question.
So it's been a little over a week and she is doing great. Had a little crop issue (too full and no movement), but was able to get that sorted out with a little coconut oil, warm water and massage 😁
So here's the thing....she talks all the time. And I mean All. The. Time. It's gotten better...she used to scream bloody murder whenever we left the room and she's finally over that...mostly lol.
She of course was traumatized by her adventure with death and is now clingy, and that's ok, we can deal with that. But I was wondering if any one else has a chicken that always talks? Even while eating..or sleeping.
And also does anyone have any recommendations on integrating her with my flock? And how old should she be when wheni do this? Mine are 2 months old and very laid back.
Here she is with my mom :)

Attachments

• 20200612_141244.jpg
    20200612_141244.jpg
    393.7 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom