Found a baby mouse! Help! Now with PICS!!!

Great photos and you have the patience of a saint - well done.
Dont knock me for this but I would have squashed its head (rightly or wrongly?????)

IF you are lucky with this mouse and she lives - DO NOT RELEASE HER INTO THE WILD SHE WILL DIE!
If you hand rear her she will NOT be able to care for herself in the wild. She will always be a pet mouse! Also you will run the risk of getting yourself over run with mice as they do breed like mad. I had a big fight over a nest of baby mice my DH found in the shed last year. We put it back where he found it with a few adult mice we managed to catch. The mum mouse moved the nest and they did grow up - then I got loads of them under the coop and before long they were steeling the feed. One morning I went out and there were about 20 mice sitting on the feeder and then when I went to get my Maran hen off her broody butt - she had baby mice under her trying to mother and she darn went for me when I moved her silly girl! I, - like you thought they were lovely and cute and then I had more than I could handle. In the end I had to take the very hard decision to get traps and kill them. - I was so sad but we had to do something when they started to get into the house. So please if you love this little mouse - keep it in the house in a cage and let it grow up to be your pet and not a terrible problem in the future or die because it can't fend for itself after all your hard work. They do make wonderful pets! And if she grows up knowing only you she wont miss being wild!

Oesdog -

she should make it! keep her WARM! its super important right now! and most of the time WILD instinct kicks in and they will be fine in the wild. you just need to keep her diet bland and natural based as she gets older... seeds grains etc.... she has a good amount of hair on her so she is not as vulnerable if she was a pinkie. btw! she needs to eat EVERY 2-4 hours all day and night being a mammal!

DONT listen to the above post with being hand tame. it rarely happens! if you want to release her the less you "play" with her then she will be wild. like i said keep her diet "wild" and she will BE FINE! if you want to keep her then handle her a LOT! but even then.... there is a small guarantee she will be "Tame" i am a wildlife rehabilitator i do this ALL the time.

That mouse is cute. A little baby anything is cute :)
I did notice that you are feeding KMR and that is kitten replacement milk. Puppy Replacement milk will be better for this little thing in the long run nutritionally wise.

Quote:
Yes, it's quite obvious the OP is looking for advice to ensure this little critter's SURVIVAL. C'mon, people!
If the KMR is working, I say keep it up. You just need to give frequent, small feedings (a little bit every hour or two during the day). Mice are mostly nocturnal, so the babies don't eat all night. I took in a tiny 13-lined ground squirrel, and had to bring it to school to feed it every hour or so. My biology teacher was a bit perplexed, but helpful.
I think this mouse can be a pet, if constantly socialized. I mean, it's not going to suddenly act like a wild beast. They heve the same genetics of a typical pet (or feeder) mouse. A mouse is a mouse! And if she does start acting "wild" (however that may be), let her go. I released that 13-lined ground squirrel, and I'm positive I had seen her since. Be sure to keep her warm!
Whatever happens, know that you did all you could, and that your heart is in the right place!

Quote:
We do wildlife programmes here too they are in most places now! - and if the mouse is handled and has No other wild mouse input then most likely it will become tame and thus will likely die if let go.
You are correct in some things you say but you really need to have a bunch of babies and treat them as wild from the start. This mouse seems to be constantly handled and being a single more likely to become tame.

Oesdog -
wink.png

Voles are voles. They reproduce like, well, mice and there is definitely no shortage of them. They don't usually tame very well as domestic rats and mice are the result of generations of breeding the easiest to handle for laboratory use, and often they are very genetically close.

Chickens enjoy eating mice; so do dogs, ferrets,and cats. Weasels, bobcats, skunks, raccoons, and probably possums also find them a tasty meal. It seems the role of the vole in nature is to provide a snack for predators.

Back
Top Bottom